Peninsula Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfalcon

Based on the peninsular style counter running clean to the wall with no secondary connection:

1st cent: The language in 210.52 (C)(1,2,3) needs cleaning badly.
2nd cent:
C1 "Wall countertop"
C2 "Peninsular countertop"
C3 "Island countertop"
are all countertops first and wall, peninsular, or island second.

Peninsular implies open on three sides. IMO the fridge makes the space to either side of it qualify for checking C1 space. IMO C2's "where connected" was to give the EL relief from trying to mount an outlet in open air.

My vote: With the fridge you need both C1 and C2 outlets. Without the fridge only the C2 outlet is required because you can belly up to the counter in that space.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You have me confused...:D.
So do I. :-?:roll:

If I have a "peninsula that abuts a wall and no counter then according to you I can have a recep on the wall and that would suffice the requirement. Yes?
Yes.

Suppose I want to install a recptacle at the end of the "peninsula", would I need one on the wall where it abuts?
No.

Bottom line: If it is a wall counter space, treat it as such. If it is a peninsular counter space, treat it as such. If you have both, then treat it as being both.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Charlie I respect your position but you better not change careers because you would have a heck of a time convincing inspectors of your view. :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Over the last couple years, I have been involved mostly in the design of hospitals and lab buildings. But I have done multi-family residential design. That said, however, we all get into the occasional disagreement in code interpretation, and have to work things out among the engineer, the installer, the owner, and the inspector.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMO when the peninsula butts up against the wall that portion become a wall counter top.
Who designates exactly how much of the peninsula is wall-counter-top space? Is 2' the minimum depth or the maximum depth?

What if we say the entire peninsula is actually a countertop that happens to be only 2' wide but 6' deep, and not a peninsula?

radiopet

From my view of this I look at it this way ( and yes it is poorly written )

If it had a small portion of space to the right( counter space A ) like in the image mike's image shows you would consider it part of the counter top...right? and thus require a receptacle within 2' of the egde of that counter. Well if I removed that small portion next to the fridge and the peninsular ran all the way back to the wall ( which it would anyway )....without the small edge I still consider it a counter as I will use it no differently than I would before.

To me ( my interp, and I am awaiting the NFPA's view on it ) is that the connecting line is drawn from the typical counter edge of the rest of the existing counters in the kitchen, so if the counter is 24" out from the wall everywhere else in the kitchen, I am going to draw that line on the counter we are talking about and if the connecting point to the wall is more than 12" wide ( Which it is ) I am going to require a receptacle on the wall. Now I come out 2' and draw my line and the remaining portion of the connecting edge from the line I have drawn will be my peninsula and I will require atleast one to serve it.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, Paul, you're saying that a peninsula cannot exist without a (wall) countertop.

Suppose one has a T-shaped island. Would you say only the cross part is the island and the intersecting portion is a peninsula?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So, Paul, you're saying that a peninsula cannot exist without a (wall) countertop.

Suppose one has a T-shaped island. Would you say only the cross part is the island and the intersecting portion is a peninsula?
A T-shaped island is still an island. There is no peninsula.:confused:

radiopet

no...what i am saying is when it does connect to the wall you have a counter for the width and length of the counter and you begin the peninsula at the figurative counter. I say if the length and width is there it is a counter and 2' out (normal counter depth) the peninsula begins.

Look with all the opinions a municipal has to make a call and this is how we call it...agree or not.....

As for your other....a peninsula is just that and an island is that....two different issues. Check out stalcup's view and he agrees...does not make him right but it means others agree.....we all have opinions...thats mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.