What are the wireless thingies hanging under streetlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are those devices that look like radio receivers/transmitters the power company hangs under some streetlights? My guess is either they monitor and report power outages or they activate the interruptible services for residential air-conditioning.

JWCELECTRIC

What are those devices that look like radio receivers/transmitters the power company hangs under some streetlights? My guess is either they monitor and report power outages or they activate the interruptible services for residential air-conditioning.

Rich,

It is a SCADA system (Supervisory Control Data Aquasition System) It is a radio communication throughout the utility system that can collect data and report back to the main office of the entire system. Lets them know if the system working, or if there are outages etc.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They could be the thingines they use for reading meters remotely. The ones I see around here hang down from a circular plate and have four concave sides. I can't find a pic; might have to take one.

ericsherman37

Power utilities have access to perpetual energy.

The thingies hanging there are solar cells, and they power the streetlights, which in turn charge the solar cells.

:grin:

dereckbc

Staff member
A picture would help out. My first thought was cameras to monitor vehicle traffic for the city. In Dallas we have a lot of these on street lights. Not to mention traffice lights taking your picture as you speed through a red light.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
A picture would help out. My first thought was cameras to monitor vehicle traffic for the city. In Dallas we have a lot of these on street lights. Not to mention traffice lights taking your picture as you speed through a red light.
There's three different things I see on the road.

1. I think those are the receivers for emergency vehicle override signals.
2. Traffic Monitoring Cameras
3. Red Light Ticket Cameras

View attachment 3366

Status
Not open for further replies.