neutrals on a added ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apon running out of space on the factory installed ground bars on a residental 1 ph. 240v 200A pannel, I was asked to tap screw-in a new ground bar and put new neutral conductors on the new gn. bar. I thought a field installed gn. bar could only be used for eqg conductors, whos right?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Apon running out of space on the factory installed ground bars on a residental 1 ph. 240v 200A pannel, I was asked to tap screw-in a new ground bar and put new neutral conductors on the new gn. bar. I thought a field installed gn. bar could only be used for eqg conductors, whos right?

Well I know EGC can't be landed on the neutral bar but i think the neutrals can land on the EGC bar... but I think your problem is you can't use the cabinet as a path for the neutral...I bet you might be ok of you ran a properly sized wire from the new bar to the neutral bar....

200.2(B) was what I was thinking about

Last edited:

220/221

If it is not the service panel, install an isolated neutral bar with the biggest jumper that will fit in the lugs (6 or 4?)

It will be a modification but it will be safe.

viclibo

Is the panel in question the service? If so the neutrals and grounds are bonded together. Why couldn't you add bus bars as needed ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Smoke, I'd place all of the grounded conductors on the existing neutral bar and move all of the EGC's to the new bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.