neutral current

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a three phase 120/208 panel and am at a total loss. A phase has 24 amps, B phase 6 amps, C phase 11 amps, and neutral has 18 amps. Circuits 1 has 9 amps and 9 amps on the neutral and circuit 4 has 7 amps and 7 amps on the neutral. When I shut off circuit 4 my main neutral goes up, I would think it would go down. I have three lights on circuit 1 and 9 fluorscent lights on circuit 4. Can someone explain what is going on? Thanks Doug

brian john

1st off clamp around A, B and C phase what do you read? This should equal the neutral current.

Calculating neutral current you should have about 16 amps on the neutral.

(A^2+B^2+C^2)-(A*B+B*C+C*A) take the square root =Neutral amps

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the formula

ry%3D400

I see Brian already posted it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The neutral current will change depending on the phase the loads you turn off are on. You say you have 6 amps on phase B but then you say you have 7 amps on cir. 4. I would assume that cir. 4 is the B phase but that cannot be.

If we assume the cir. you turn off on the C phase has 7 amps then the neutral load will increase to 19 amps from 16 amps. use the equation-- you can plug this formula into an excel spreadsheet and use cells A1 , B1 and C1 for the neutral currents and you will see what I mean

=SQRT(((A1*A1)+(B1*B1)+(C1*C1))-((A1*B1)+(B1*C1)+(C1*A1)))

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is another way to look at this. The neutral current is balanced when all three phases are equal. Thus is all phases had 24 amps then the neutral current is zero. Now reduce one phase to 0 amps and the neutral current shoots up to 24 amps and reducing another phase to 0 amps will still keep the neutral current at 24.

GaTech04

If there's room, you could move circuit #1 (9A) to the B phase to help even out the loads:

A: 15A
B: 15A
C: 11A

N = 4A

Smart $

Esteemed Member

=SQRT(((A1*A1)+(B1*B1)+(C1*C1))-((A1*B1)+(B1*C1)+(C1*A1)))
Dennis et al,

This equation's result may be inaccurate if the power factors of the line currents differ. I brought it up in this thread and at least two others.

For example, if...
Line A, 5A, pf=1
Line B, 10A, pf=1
Line C, 8.67A, pf=0.867​
...then the current on the neutral will be zero, but the formula yields a result of 4.48A.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis et al,

This equation's result may be inaccurate if the power factors of the line currents differ. I brought it up in this thread and at least two others.

For example, if...
Line A, 5A, pf=1
Line B, 10A, pf=1
Line C, 8.67A, pf=0.867​
...then the current on the neutral will be zero, but the formula yields a result of 4.48A.

You are smart..:grin: So what formula are you using that takes into account PF for neutral current may I ask?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You are smart..:grin: So what formula are you using that takes into account PF for neutral current may I ask?
I use vector math, but I let Excel do the computational part of it :grin:

I've posted web links to my Excel Neutral Calculator before, but it seems SkyDrive keeps changing the URL to it. So this time I've embedded it in a Word doc, so it will be on this server.

View attachment 3369

Status
Not open for further replies.