• Conest

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Mccormick

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

Can we do a poll of what people use? The 3 top software's, Conest, Acu-bid, Mccormick. I have demoed all 3 recently and they are all pretty similar to someone who has not used software.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I tried some software that wasn't on your list, and found myself spending more time fixing the prices on things than bidding. I decided to make my own excel spreadsheet for bidding residential new construction. It took me about 4 hours total to make the spreadsheet, and I can trust the numbers. JMO,

Occupation
Electrician
just bought "on center take-off",actually works well.I have tried conest's version which sucks.So i am actually going to buy conest's estimating program if I can import from "on center".

Brian J.

I use all 3. They have their strong points, and all will do the job you need them to do. Pick one and learn the hell out of it. The more you use your program, the more proficient you will become.

resistance

If for residential, why waste the money!!! The only time you need a program, is if you have no idea about pricing a job. Yet, the program want help you much, unless you have some on-the-job experience! Just my .01 cents.

resistance

I tried some software that wasn't on your list, and found myself spending more time fixing the prices on things than bidding. I decided to make my own excel spreadsheet for bidding residential new construction. It took me about 4 hours total to make the spreadsheet, and I can trust the numbers. JMO,
Exactly!!!!!!!

Flex

Taken me well over 6 hours but I like excel.

celtic

It took me about 4 hours total to make the spreadsheet, and I can trust the numbers. JMO,

Taken me well over 6 hours but I like excel.

Can you guys post a screen shot or two?

I literally spent weeks building my sheets....building assemblies...breaking down various costs to a "user friendly" number, ie, rough costs - manhours/material/labor costs, etc.

Here are a couple of shots of what I have done

Take-off4.jpg

1793.jpg

TxShocker

I am very interested in this post. I am looking for a new estimating program and the three that are in this poll are the same three that I have demo's set up with. I have already had the demo for McCormick and Accubid and I have a demo set up for ConEst this Friday. Hope this topic really takes off and I can get some really good info before I make my final choice.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I've do the takeoff per plan on one sheet "Per Plan", which spits room names over to the "Additions/Subtractions" and "Master" takeoff sheets. The master adds the "per plan" and "+/-" sheets, and the proposal is based on that.

My material prices are kept dirt simple, off to the right, so I can just make a simple adjustment to change their prices. My "minutes per hole" controls my labor per hole, and per panel, and so on.

mranthony

+1 McCormick
I've used McCormick for years now. I was able to use it out of the box, but after some practice and learning how to use the finer points. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Estmating: it gives you a ton of options depending on the "difficulty" of the job, you can change everything within seconds to adjust your price while on the phone with the customer if needed. Doing it by hand takes SOOO much longer.

Power probes make doing take off super quick, accurate.

Change orders, customers can't argue labor rates when your using the Neca Labor rates. And who wants to take the time to look them up each time.

You can export all the reports into several different formats, we use it to send into quickbooks.

You can build schedules.

Their support staff is the best. They are more than willing to help walk me through something or even customize their program to fit my particular needs.

Sooo many options, I'm going to stop. I dont want to feel like their cheerleader any longer.

I've used Accubid in classes that I teach, I've had some exposure to ConEst in the last 3 years, and its been about 8 or 9 years since I last saw McCormick. I've been using a different estimating system that isn't on the list for quite a few years (very pleased with it).

If my only choice for an estimating system was out of those three, I guess I'd lean towards ConEst, due to some flexibility in takeoff methods / procedures that aren't present in AccuBid. But I'm hoping that anybody looking at estimating system realizes that there are more developers out there with very good products, but don't spend as much on advertising as the three mentioned in this poll.

DavisIMI

I use Conest, and love it. Estimating software is only as good as the time you want to put into it. Take me for example, it seems to me that most estimating programs are more set up for commercail , heavy residental, and there is quite a bit of industrial stuff in there as well. I do mainly Industrial instrumentation and controls, with quite a bit of PLC work thrown in, and it seems to me whoever makes these assemblies up in the estimating programs havent done a lick of industrail work in their lives. So I take part of their assemblies and make up my own versions. Takes a lot of time but when your done it saves a tone of money. What took me a week to estimate now I can get done in a day or two, and the more you do it the better and faster you get. The biggest thing for me is price breakouts, changer orders, and no human error. I bought the design build package, its not cheap but to me its worth every penny. Like I said, you only get out of a estimating program what your willing to put into it. It takes more than a couple of days to become really good at it. I've had mine for months now and I'm still learning all kinds of things and coming up with differnt ideas to make it work better for me. I'd hate to go bake to the "old' way. One other thing I dont use the traser pricer system, I send all my estimates out for quotes. Thats another good thing about it. I could go on and on. I know there are those out there that says you could never get a job if you use a estimating program and you probally could'nt if you didnt take the time to customize it to your own needs and company, I'm constatly tweaking and changing things to fit my needs. I've got about 5 diffent labor unit manuals and I use them all, and I use the labor units that come with the software, but you really have to come up with your own labor units and the only way you can do that is by job cost breakdowns then go back and adjust your labor units untill you get it right, which is never, but you can get real close. The point is you have to make the software fit your company, untill you do that you'll not get the jobs and if you do you could lose you a$$. So for those out there that think your going to buy a high price software package thats going to work magic for ya, it aint so, but if your wanting to put your money into another great tool then you wont go wrong with any of the top 3. Conest #1, Accubid #2, and McCormik #3, In my humble opinion. I researched them all before I bought, and you should to before laying down $2000.00- $6000.00 big ones.

Flex

Can you guys post a screen shot or two?

I literally spent weeks building my sheets....building assemblies...breaking down various costs to a "user friendly" number, ie, rough costs - manhours/material/labor costs, etc.

Here are a couple of shots of what I have done

Take-off4.jpg

1793.jpg

I do not do very involved projects. I use it for sidework mostly. Your setup is far superior and looks very impressive.

wirenut1972

TxSchocker,

I went with McCormick. If you go with McCormick get the 6000 version, not the 3000. The 6000 has many more assembles pre-made.

That?s along the lines of ?do as I say?, because I bought the 3000, then I had to upgrade. Some day I will learn that it?s cheaper to spend more money??.someday.

McCormick makes a time and material billing software called ?T-bill?. I?ve seen it and want it, it?s really sweet. The program is great for change orders and small jobs.

If I were going to buy software again, I would try to get the training session worked into the deal. By training session I mean the 3 day course in Phoenix. I did it in April of this year. First of all the person they had teaching the class was very, very, very good. This guy was an EC for 30 plus years. The man really took time with everybody in the class.

The 3 day class was put together well. There were about 14 people in the class, lunches were included in the deal, it was nice to talk to people in the same business that you don?t compete with.

To sum it up I?d say McCormick really went the extra mile with me. By that I mean the amount of time that they spent with me, hour?s on the phone explaining the system and the 3 day class really help out a lot. The phone support department is really first class, they will spend as much time as necessary to get you up to speed.

With that said I have no idea how I ran my business before I used the software. Now even the smallest job get?s put into the system, man hour report?s are created, supplies list/ material pull sheets are printed. It?s much easer for me now to keep an eye on things.

With the software, plane tickets, hotel, phone support, and misc, I spent.....well I spent alot. And am very happy with everything. Very good return on the investment, and that's all that counts.

cadpoint

I'm outside looking in, and probably like others don't have to deal with these issues, much less worry about the software and the perils of all that!

I noted package price per size in the last thread, is the dollar value levels of all these packages, basically the same? Does this price to size of package push one away from residential to commercial only? Did I miss this ?

Can someone state that all software is for both for residential and commercial?

I thought that one listed was high end commercial and on the other end was your basic residential package! (based on other threads on software)

So it's not what one likes but what is best suited for ones needs, understandable, the poll has evened out!

TxShocker

wirenut,
Thanks for the post, I have now had a demo with all three in the poll. Accubid is out, McCormick and ConEst are neck and neck, as of this minute I have Conest slightly ahead, (if I was buying today) I will look for more info and do some more looking at the 2 this week, then will make a purchase by the end of this month.

dduffee260

I have Conest. Decent program with about what the others have. I do like the updating part. It links to Traser and is automatic while McCormick is not. Both companies have excellent owners.

George Hauge personally met me in Dallas about 12 years ago. He is a super guy who really cares about what you think. His office staff have been with him for years and that means something.

Todd McCormick took over his company from Jack. They really know what they are doing also but I felt like their software was a little buggy and " DOS-hish" for lack of a better term.

I do not care for their instructor Don Hibbett as I went to Las Vegas for a seminar and it seems like we wasted a couple of days on sales pitches. He seemed as if he was confused with some of the newer stuff and just went through his basic steps and sales pitches. I remember having an online seminar about 7 years ago with him. I had my notes on what my weaknesses were. Don insisted that we not stray from his program and only do the things he was trained to teach in that order only. Personally I feel that if your going to be the expert you better be able to adapt to what ever that person wants.

After he wasted my time in Vegas I called Accubid the moment I left the room. They would not give me anything for my program as a trade. If they would have I may have just tried it.

As for all the people who have Excel spreadsheets I hear ya. Seems if I am in a hurry and want a fast bid I still use some of the stuff I have. But I never and I mean never use Excel for large feeders. With the way wire and pipe is changing you will lose a boatload of money fast if you have not updated pricing.

We have projects with over 600k in feeders so you had better be sure of the labor and materials.

My thoughts are to take your time. Remember they all want your business so make them earn it.

On a side note I want to say hello to Celtic. Pretty impressive sheet he has there. I bet it took alot of work and time. It has been a long time since I have seen him on here. Hope things are going well for you Celtic. Take care.

Brian J.

If you are down to ConEst and McCormick then you are in pretty good company. Whatever your decision, do everything it takes to learn the program inside and out. That's how you will realize the return on investment. If you have any questions on either program send me an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.