Bryan, the 08?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Yes. The 2008 NEC effective date is 7/1/09. Be aware that a Florida Building Commission hearing is scheduled for Wednesday to review Rule 9B - 3.047 which amends Section 680.22(B). The rule would add an exception for 1&2 Family Dwellings.

I will keep you Forida guys updated...

bphgravity

FLORIDA UPDATE...

Effective July 1st 2009, the state of Florida adopts the 2008 NEC with one (1) amendment. Section 680.22(B) will not apply to 1&2 family dwellings.

This can be found as a glitch modification to the 2007 FBC - Section 2705.1 and the 2007 FBC-R - Section E3304.1

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
FLORIDA UPDATE...

Effective July 1st 2009, the state of Florida adopts the 2008 NEC with one (1) amendment. Section 680.22(B) will not apply to 1&2 family dwellings.

This can be found as a glitch modification to the 2007 FBC - Section 2705.1 and the 2007 FBC-R - Section E3304.1

Again, I thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
FLORIDA UPDATE...

Brian I assume you mean 680.22(B) changes will not apply to 1 & 2 family dwellings. Is that correct. I don't know the 2007 FBC so just trying to clarify.

bphgravity

Here is one commentary on the issue I was able to find:

FBC adopts 2008 NEC, exempting GFCI requirement on residential pools

FSPA President Alan Cooper, "This epitomizes what our government relations program is all about. Further, it is an excellent example of the importance of having a swimming pool contractor on the FBC."

On Tuesday the Florida Building Commission (FBC) held a final rule hearing on glitch rule 9B-3.047, which encompassed a number of proposed changes to the 2007 Florida Building Code (the code). Most important to the pool industry was the 2008 NEC discussion.

In April the FBC voted to adopt the 2008 NEC, but exempt the GFCI requirement on residential pools. However, the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and others received word of this action and were in attendance on Tuesday. Testimony from a NEMA representative and an electrical contractor asked the FBC to reverse their original decision and adopt the 2008 NEC in total. Representatives from FSPA and other groups provided testimony to rebut the NEMA claims and encourage the FBC to stand by their original decision.

Larry Brown, FSPA Central Florida member and electrical contractor for Mid Florida Pools, did a superb job rebutting the NEMA testimony. In addition, comments were made to the FBC by UPSA members. To sum up the discussion, Commissioner Ken Gregory spoke to his fellow Commissioners asking them to vote down a motion to adopt the 2008 NEC in its entirety. The FBC agreed with him and the testimony the pool industry provided, ultimately voting down the motion 16-6. The original decision to adopt the 2008 NEC except for the GFCI requirement on residential pools withstood.

Also note that the FBC voted to incorporate into the glitch rule the 64E-9, F.A.C., public pool code revisions.

Read this story in its entirety in the July issue of Florida Pool Pro (sm).

bphgravity

Well, it should be no surprise to those of you that have followed the code adoption process here in Florida over the last several years that things have changed again.

The Florida Building Commission voted to amend the Florida Building Code to reference the 2008 NEC on June 9th at the Rule 9B - 3.047 hearing in Tampa. However, due to public notification laws, the Notice of Change will not be published for another 21 days or so leaving an "official" effective date in perhaps August or maybe even September. The July 1st date is no longer valid.

According to Mo Madani of the FBC, it is up to the discretion of the individual AHJ's as to when to start enforcing the 2008 NEC now that it has been approved by the commission. I am not exactly certain on the procedure an individual jurisdiction must follow in order to start enforcing a newer edition of a code or standard before the state declares an “official” date, but Mr. Madani did clearly indicate to me this is an option.

I have nothing else to report on the 680.22(B), GFCI exemption for 1&2 Family Dwellings. The issue was debated, a vote was made, and the change stands – like it or not.

I do want to remind you that a few other “standards” were updated / adopted with the 2007 FBC:

• 2005 NFPA 99 – Standard for Health Care Facilities

• 2004 NFPA 780 – Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems

• 1996 ANSI/UL – Standard for Single and Multiple Station CO Alarms (NFPA 720)

I will keep you updated if anything else changes (and it will).

Status
Not open for further replies.