Flourcent lights, leave on or turn off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

I know it takes a bunch of energy to "start" a flourecent light, is it better to leave them on or tun them off and on several times a day for energy efficency?

iwire

Staff member
I don't think it has to be off long to save more energy then start takes, occupancy sensors are often set in the 5 to 7 minute range.

nakulak

I think the answer would depend on how many lights, etc. (question is too vague - I don't think one answer fits all conditions). I think the best energy savings means I have seen so far for flourescents was the installation of skylights and dimmable (sp?) flourescents with light sensors and dimming panel.

iwire

Staff member
Lets say a running fixture draws 1 amp continuously.

Now lets say it draws 10 times that during a 1 second start up. (I doubt it is anywhere near that)

So if we leave the lamp off for a 11 seconds or more we start saving more then the start up wastes.

Of course there are other cost issues like lamp and ballast life, but I am confident turning typical fluorescent lighting saves money.

My thoughts are similar to Bob's.

There is a reason that someone has calculated for the setting of sensors to go off approximately 8-15 minutes.

I would say that leaving a room to get something and then coming back quickly does not show a need to turn them off. But leaving a room for more than 15 minutes in my estimation would be prudent in regards to energy savings.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I know it takes a bunch of energy to "start" a flourecent light, is it better to leave them on or tun them off and on several times a day for energy efficency?
This is an old urban legend.

As Bob said, start up energy is measured in a time frame of secs.

I believe the default time frame setting of energy sensors has a little to do with the shortend life of lamps that occurs with each starting, and a lot more to do with the average period of 'non-movement' that a person has when sitting at a desk.

Besoeker

Lets say a running fixture draws 1 amp continuously.

Now lets say it draws 10 times that during a 1 second start up. (I doubt it is anywhere near that)

So if we leave the lamp off for a 11 seconds or more we start saving more then the start up wastes.
I agree. I have measured and recorded current waveforms for start up.
Fewer than 10 cycles from turn on to steady state..

Turning off any lamp always saves the most energy because after all, it is not using any.

As for the delay times on occupancy sensors, it is set so that it is not inadvertently turning off while the room is being used and becoming a nuisance. No one generally sits completely still for 8 to 15 minutes at a time, they will always make some kind of movement to keep the sensor activated but set below this threshold it is more likely it will be necessary to be waving at the sensor to kick it back on.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I wouldn't use the term "any". There are high bay lights that take a while to come on and are better left on during a work period.

HID's are dimmed, with special dimmers and motion sensors, used a lot in warehouse aisle lighting. Since the arc is not extinguished, full brightness is instantly acheived. The orange box used a giant dimmer to dim all HID's in their stores many years ago, it was controlled using a outdoor light level sensor. They discontinued the use of the dimmers though due to maintaince issues. Surges would burn out the rectifiers on the tap changing brushes leading to burn't contact surfaces at best, fires at worst.

Is it better? Is it better for whom?

I don?t have the answer but I would look at it from the owners of the lights dollar standpoint. The extra cost of purchasing, traveling, ordering and disposing of disposing of lamps is significant. Same goes for the ballasts, broken lenses and sockets from the wear and tear. The government subsidizes some of the costs but they still have an impact on the environment. For instance, pretty much all transportation ejoys extra tax dollars beyond what it brings in from the direct users.
Then you have to account for the energy cost for HVAC on top of all that.

This reminds me of hand dryers like the Xelerator touted in the WSJ. They never talk about what impact the humidity going into the air is going to have on the HVAC costs.

sberger3

There is a reason that someone has calculated for the setting of sensors to go off approximately 8-15 minutes.

FYI- Something I will share with you from experience, these sensors will burn through bulbs like crazy. That is why they are set to 8-15 minutes. One shop set their sensors to go off in 20 seconds and they replaced bulbs at 6 times the usual rate. The cost of the bulbs, rate of the electrician and his equipment all have to be calculated in the 'real world' cost savings, if there is any.

ItsHot

burnt lamps

burnt lamps

FYI- Something I will share with you from experience, these sensors will burn through bulbs like crazy. That is why they are set to 8-15 minutes. One shop set their sensors to go off in 20 seconds and they replaced bulbs at 6 times the usual rate. The cost of the bulbs, rate of the electrician and his equipment all have to be calculated in the 'real world' cost savings, if there is any.
We have talked here about shorting lamp life with frequent start ups from sensors. I have seen sensors added to restrooms by energy management guys. Restrooms have 3, 13-watt fl. lamps.One lamp remains on always,(egress). So you are shutting the other 2-13 watts on/off all day!! The energy savings???? Does not outway the lamp replacement cost?? Oh, I mentioned the other 1200,2x4 trouffers that stay on most all the time! Energy guys did not "hear" that one!!:-?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.