bonding of hazardous material storage cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winslowfam

Hi...I have a client who will be storing 5 gal totes of ethanol in a locked storage cabinet made for holding such material while the totes are not in use. They have asked if there are any grounding/bonding requirements for this cabinet. I have searched the NEC and have read NFPA 497 (standard for flammable vapors and liquids) and find no mention of a need for bonding a storage cabinet. It is located indoors and not near any power sources.

Any comments?

cadpoint

When one gets into storage of flammable liquids, I believe it'll be the Fire Marshall and the Local AHJ Director need to get involved, and the companies insurance carrier would also be interested!

Here just some of what they might ask about doing this! I'm sure they have a check list to go against just like the insurance people.

Things not considered (or presented in OP), Air movement Calc's for this storage space, type of construction that the storage will be placed in ie class of structure, egress (requirement) from this space, exterior signage requirements due to flammable liquids, fire suppression fixed or mobile. Lighting requirements might change ie shielded/blast resistant verses just exposed tube or lamps.

You say there's no power sources, no receptacles, how about type of power
that might just be running through and what is in the conduits and how close is all that?

I don't need you answer anything, just some of the my thoughts!

Your State Fire Marshall usually has an on-line presence!
Got any Architects or Engineering friends?

PS: The Fire Marshall can also answer your question :)

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What you want to review is NFPA 30; with respect to static protection for stored flammable liquids. The document has been revised significantly since 2003 and I'm no longer as familiar with it. I would suggest reviewing NEC Section 515.16 FPN to get a general direction.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi...I have a client who will be storing 5 gal totes of ethanol in a locked storage cabinet made for holding such material while the totes are not in use. They have asked if there are any grounding/bonding requirements for this cabinet. I have searched the NEC and have read NFPA 497 (standard for flammable vapors and liquids) and find no mention of a need for bonding a storage cabinet. It is located indoors and not near any power sources.

Any comments?

What if the cabinet and/or the containers are plastic?

It appears the cabinet is made for the purpose it is being used for. If so, it will come with instructions. The totes probably are plastic. The OP only asked about the cabinet.

nhfire77

The reason I mention plastic, is the static buildup that occurs on plastic.

I do not think an appreciable static charge would build on the plastic container simply by moving it around inside a flammible liquids cabinet.

Pouring (leaking, spilling) them from one place to another causes the liquid to build the static charge.

I was a fire inspector for two years, and bonding a cabinet I have never seen. FWIW drilling or welding to the cabinet would void the UL listing. I realize that some AHJ's require it, and I doubt its a problem.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I did a little "crash course" om NFPA 30; I'm still not as familiar, but this is the current word:
6.5.4* Static Electricity.
6.5.4.1 All equipment such as tanks, machinery, and piping
shall be designed and operated to prevent electrostatic ignitions.​

6.5.4.2 All metallic equipment such as tanks, machinery, and
piping where the potential exists for an ignitible mixture to be
present shall be bonded and grounded.​

6.5.4.3 The bond and ground shall be physically applied or
shall be inherently present by the nature of the installation.​

6.5.4.4 Any electrically isolated section of metallic piping or
equipment shall be bonded and grounded to prevent hazardous
accumulation of static electricity.​

6.5.4.5 All nonmetallic equipment and piping where the potential
exists for an ignitable mixture to be present shall be
designed and operated to prevent electrostatic ignition.​

6.5.5 Electrical Systems. Design, selection, and installation of
electrical wiring and electrical utilization equipment shall
meet the requirements of Chapter 7.​
Note the "*" after 6.5.4 above; it indicates there is additional material in Annex A. In this case it sends the reader to NFPA 77, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity. I stopped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.