Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

I have a customer with an outdoor generator, in an enclosure, on top of a belly tank.
The unit enclosure is approx 6? wide x 12? long
The unit sits inside a concrete basin (fuel spill containment) The basin is approx 8? x 14? so it catches and holds rain water.

The customer would like to install an automatic pump, to pump rain water out of the spill containment basin, but the pump must have a fuel sensor and shutdown if it detects fuel ? do they make something like this or do we need to design something special?

I was thinking that a fuel sensor would detect the diesel fuel in the basin and trip a relay and an alarm. The relay would kill power to the water pump and the alarm would notify the customer.

Rewire

I have a customer with an outdoor generator, in an enclosure, on top of a belly tank.
The unit enclosure is approx 6? wide x 12? long
The unit sits inside a concrete basin (fuel spill containment) The basin is approx 8? x 14? so it catches and holds rain water.

The customer would like to install an automatic pump, to pump rain water out of the spill containment basin, but the pump must have a fuel sensor and shutdown if it detects fuel ? do they make something like this or do we need to design something special?

I was thinking that a fuel sensor would detect the diesel fuel in the basin and trip a relay and an alarm. The relay would kill power to the water pump and the alarm would notify the customer.
This may not be allowed check with your state DNR

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about a moisture sensor? Water (impure) is conductive, but fuel isn't.*

*I base my statement on the fact that my van's fuel pump and gauge sender operate with open contacts submerged in gasoline, and hasn't blown up yet.

markstg

How about putting a short pipe through the curb with a gate valve in the end. When water starts to fill up the, open the valve. Keep the valve closed normally closed. Simple Gravity System.

Status
Not open for further replies.