Let's Twist Again - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

no matter what is said here people will not change pre-twisting or the type of box they use

With that mindset you can never learn anything new.

Every single day on every job, I try to find a more prductive way to accomplish my tasks.

If pretwisting and metal boxes are better methods, I want to learn why. That's why I keep asking the questions.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every single day on every job, I try to find a more prductive way to accomplish my tasks.
Absolutely. I'm lazy, so I'm highly motivated to do things the easy way.

However, I prefer to use the word "efficient" if on the job. :cool:

. . . I want to learn why. That's why I keep asking the questions.
Then don't ever stop asking. ;)

220/221

Absolutely. I'm lazy, so I'm highly motivated to do things the easy way.

If there was a lazy contest, I would walk away with it.

Actually, I'd drive away but you get the idea.

However, I prefer to use the word "efficient" if on the job.

I like efficient, productive and not wasting resources.

220/221

Sheesh, I was just agreeing with you and adding my own terms but it turned out to be unproductive because I had to explain myself.

mark32

"5 seconds? Really? I always find iy extremely awkward to twist more than two wires with sidecutters. Round wires....flat tipped pliers. The wires want to spread out/ fall apart and that whole tighen loosen motion seems difficult.

Maybe if there were notches in the tips of the sidecutters?"

220/221, I agree with that although I find it's not hard to get a nice spiral going with up to four wires, over that it's tougher making a visually appealing splice for me. A couple of times, in order to avoid a large splice, I've split up the wires, so instead of 5 wires under one nut it would be 4 under one nut and 3 under another. That's lame right, any of you guys do that?

More props to you 220/221 for the experiment you conducted earlier, I like tinkering/researching like that.

220/221

No offense intended. See the wink? My bad.

No offense taken. :) See the "sheesh"? I mean, who says "sheesh"?

in order to avoid a large splice, I've split up the wires, so instead of 5 wires under one nut it would be 4 under one nut and 3 under another

Although I don't know what the packaging says, five 12's will fit in a red....maybe six. That's when I use my needle nose pliers to help twist the nut. Any more than that and I just use a bigger nut. 7 wires would fit easily inder a grey. Occaisionally I'll bust out a big blue nut.:grin:

mcclary's electrical

I always pretwist,,,,,,,howevever I hace seen wire nots that specifically said "do not pretwist". I've also seen them that say"no pretwisting required",,,,but I do it anyway

BryKey

This is always been a great debate, When using wire nuts I always pre-twist.
But now with companies using innovative products it is making me lazy.
7877p.jpg

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is always been a great debate, When using wire nuts I always pre-twist.
But now with companies using innovative products it is making me lazy.
7877p.jpg
While I like using them in recessed cans, they ncertainly aren't better than wirenuts, twist or not.

LJSMITH1

Isn't it possible that the wire nut had nothing to do with the poor connection? How about the guy who forgets to strip ALL conductors in the bunch? He leaves the one that is carrying the current unstripped, and twists the wirenut on. This could easily cause a high resistance connection, thus the scorched nut. When the forensics team arrived, they could unscrew the nut and find no evidence of the trapped insulation because it all was carbonized with the nut plastic. :cool:

Hey...it could happen!:rolleyes:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Isn't it possible that the wire nut had nothing to do with the poor connection? How about the guy who forgets to strip ALL conductors in the bunch? He leaves the one that is carrying the current unstripped, and twists the wirenut on. This could easily cause a high resistance connection, thus the scorched nut. When the forensics team arrived, they could unscrew the nut and find no evidence of the trapped insulation because it all was carbonized with the nut plastic. :cool:

Hey...it could happen!:rolleyes:

God you are so WAY off. It's not the rushing tech.... It's the product that was throughly tested by experts and judged to work properly if installed properly.....:roll:

LJSMITH1

God you are so WAY off. It's not the rushing tech.... It's the product that was throughly tested by experts and judged to work properly if installed properly.....:roll:

Since when does installation quality have anything to do with product performance??:rolleyes:

Between the blue plastic boxes, Wagos, backstabbed devices, zinc fittings, Romex, and MCI-A cable, all of us should have been up in flames years ago!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

UL doesn't say you 'have' to strip the conductor insulation before using the wirenut, right?:confused::roll:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.