First Time GEC Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I got a call from one of our GCs today asking me about bonding to slab rebar. He is getting ready to pour his next house and the inspector tells him the rebar needs GEC attatched to it. I told him of the requirement but it is the first such enforcement I have seen in countless houses. He said it is the first he has been gigged and he has been doing houses for 25+. So I hopped in the truck and drove over there and have not heard anyting so I am assuming I got everything right. Thought I would share my rookie adventures 13 years into it. :grin:

resistance

So I hopped in the truck and drove over there and have not heard anyting so I am assuming I got everything right.
I hope you aren't saying you completed a job without having any idea on how to do it? See 250.52 (A)(3):cool:

360Youth

I hope you aren't saying you completed a job without having any idea on how to do it? See 250.52 (A)(3):cool:

Yes, I double checked my understanding of the code and even called an inspector to friend for a second opinion. As I was driving to the job I remembered forum discussions and thought I should have just had the masons stub out a piece to tie to later.
:)

resistance

Yes, I double checked my understanding of the code and even called an inspector to friend for a second opinion. As I was driving to the job I remembered forum discussions and thought I should have just had the masons stub out a piece to tie to later.
IC. It's not an NEC requirement. Yet, some local rules may require you to use the re-enforcement bar---if it's accessible (New Construction, before they pour).

benaround

As I was driving to the job I remembered forum discussions and thought I should have just had the masons stub out a piece to tie to later.

I don't know if that is accepted in all areas, how would an Inspector know how long the

stub is? Also, IMO, I don't see that the NEC has words to support that type of install.

Cavie

It will fail here. Rebar cannot be in contact with the earth. It will rust off and you will have no ground. Here in Florida, it is turned up into the interior framing or into the open cell of the concrete bolck construction. Accsess hole is required for connection. Framing inspector looks for the rod turned up before concrete pour.

360Youth

...if it's accessible (New Construction, before they pour).

Essentially, what I told the GC, is that it is a requirement, but rarely enforced because by the time the EC gets there, it is not accessible. The "sometimes interpretation" and probably the more correct, is that the EC needs to be present at the time the reinforcement steel is accessible. I just thought it was kinda funny that after 13+ years of doing almost exclusively residential work, this is the first time it been an issue.

Also, IMO, I don't see that the NEC has words to support that type of install.

Hence, my little smiley face. If I remember, there was about a 6000 post thread on the validity of stubbing out the rebar.

electricmanscott

Essentially, what I told the GC, is that it is a requirement, but rarely enforced because by the time the EC gets there, it is not accessible. .

The NEC does not allow you to use that as an excuse. If the rebar is present, and by your own words it is, you have to use it. This applies to new construction only.

Also you mentioned rebar in the slab. Is there no foundation?

Most importantly, if the inspector is telling him it's required, and the inspector is correct, I would think you should make sure it gets done.

Last edited:

Cavie

IC. It's not an NEC requirement. Yet, some local rules may require you to use the re-enforcement bar---if it's accessible (New Construction, before they pour).

YES it is a an NEC requirement. Code also says if present not if accessible depending on which cycle you are in.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
YES it is a an NEC requirement. Code also says if present not if accessible depending on which cycle you are in.

Actually in NC it is "if availlable", NC ammended the 08 (and 05) to keep the wording of the 02.

Click here and go to page 6.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I know NC takes a don't worry about it attitude but I have been working diligently with my builders to ensure I get my copper in the footer. Sometimes stubbing up doesn't get it so I install 20' of #4 in the footer and tie to the rebar. I realize the 20' is not necessary but I like wasting money.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know NC takes a don't worry about it attitude but I have been working diligently with my builders to ensure I get my copper in the footer. Sometimes stubbing up doesn't get it so I install 20' of #4 in the footer and tie to the rebar. I realize the 20' is not necessary but I like wasting money.

Sure it is,250.52(A)(3). That's what we require here.

Status
Not open for further replies.