Smoke Alarm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I recall seeing, at some point, here a discussion about interconnecting smoke alarms. My concern is a room addition, bedroom, needs to be on Arc Fault circuit but the other smoke alarms are not. What method is used to interconnect? A pointer to a prior discussion would be great as well.

cpal

I recall seeing, at some point, here a discussion about interconnecting smoke alarms. My concern is a room addition, bedroom, needs to be on Arc Fault circuit but the other smoke alarms are not. What method is used to interconnect? A pointer to a prior discussion would be great as well.

you mentioned "alarm" or were you refering to "smoke detectors"??

First disregarding local regulations for feeding the smoke detectors.

If you are installing multi-station smoke detectors and they interconnect via 3 wires, (14/3NMB) you can disconnect the non AFCI feed and back feed from the new AFCI.

Occupation
Inspector
you mentioned "alarm" or were you refering to "smoke detectors"??

If you are installing multi-station smoke detectors and they interconnect via 3 wires, (14/3NMB) you can disconnect the non AFCI feed and back feed from the new AFCI.

While that is the most obvious solution I was looking at other options.

When I use the term Smoke Detector I think of the Sensor, attachment #2, used in a Central Fire Alarm System. A Smoke Alarm is what I find in SFD's that interconnect, attachment #1

In my opening post I should have used the term remodel instead of addition. This is a basement that is being finished. There is a Smoke Alarm dead ended in the basement just a few feet away from what will be the bedroom. The panel is not marked well and I don't know which of the existing smokes is the feed.

I have been asked to bid this job so I'm trying to cover my bases to keep from getting burned, pardon the pun, on $$$.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have on occassion found a situation (on an addition) where the bedroom addition smoke alarms are on an AFCI and the older part of the home on non-AFCI and the E/C "linked" the new smoke and old smoke by a single conductor wire. It all worked and I could find nothing prohibiting that install. Do you see a violation ?

iwire

Staff member
While that is the most obvious solution I was looking at other options.

NJ is just ramping up with AFCIs right?

Anyway I don't really know any other options, the smoke alarm in a bedroom must be AFCI protected and most manufacturers require supplying all interconnected smoke from the same circuit.

Occupation
Inspector
I have on occassion found a situation (on an addition) where the bedroom addition smoke alarms are on an AFCI and the older part of the home on non-AFCI and the E/C "linked" the new smoke and old smoke by a single conductor wire. It all worked and I could find nothing prohibiting that install. Do you see a violation ?

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I cannot think of any violation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
NJ is just ramping up with AFCIs right?
As of April 6, 2009 NJ has adopted the 2008 NEC in its entirety. However, there is a grace period until October 6, 2009 where you can still file under the 2005 NEC but you have to state so on the permit. So, if you're doing a house addition and don't want to put your customer through the expense of upgrading their electric service and/or installing AFCI's you file under the 2005 code. On the other hand, if you're installing wiring for a swimming pool you file under the 2008 code because the single # 8 conductor and not the 3' bonding grid is required. There are some other exceptions NJ took with respect to the 2008 NEC but I don't want to drift away from the OP.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aren't they just called Smoke Detectors and or a Heat Detector?
When using the terms "smoke detector" or "heat detector" it generally refers to a system of devices where there are separate devices that detect heat and/or smoke, report back to a central control unit that in turn operates separate alarm sounding devices. Smoke alarms are generally considered self-contained (detector and horn) 120v interconnected devices (usually with 9v battery back-up) that detect smoke and sound an alarm at each device via an interconnected signal wire

iwire

Staff member
you mentioned "alarm" or were you referring to "smoke detectors"??

The battery powered or line voltage interconnected devices we install in most single family homes are UL listed as Smoke alarms. Smoke detectors connect to a FACP.

This may not seem important until someone tries to apply the rules in 760 to smoke alarms which 760 does not apply to.

cadpoint

When using the terms "smoke detector" or "heat detector" it generally refers to a system of devices where there are separate devices that detect heat and/or smoke, report back to a central control unit that in turn operates separate alarm sounding devices. Smoke alarms are generally considered self-contained (detector and horn) 120v interconnected devices (usually with 9v battery back-up) that detect smoke and sound an alarm at each device via an interconnected signal wire

Thanks Goldstar, and Bob, I don't play with them a lot with them, I'm grad you'll made all the correct references, I didn't like my reading of the others references to this application, thus my statement !

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Kidde makes a wireless inner connected unit that is a great Fix for just this situation. The unit is hard wired (120 volt) and has battery back up but communicates between units via radio signal. I have used them in the past and have not had a problem with them. They are more pricey them the standard smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.