insulation tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter J

I have one and use it but don't assume I know what I am doing with it. :grin:
It seems like a nice little unit but still new to the meggering stuff so I can't give a fair review.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have one and like it. For voltages 480 and below it is a nice meter.

Yep. I'm still learning myself, but now that I have one I couldn't live without it. Make sure you get the test leads that use the probes with removable alligator clips. These test leads have the "test" button on the probes as well, super handy when jamming the probes into the terminals on an IEC contactor, for example, and needing to test at the same time. The tester also has a "lock" button allowing you to lock the test on without holding down the button the whole time.

Keep spare AA batteries on hand, it doesn't have an auto-shutoff if you leave it on.

I picked mine up on Ebay new in box for $350ish and would definitely recommend this meter.

76nemo

I saw a Fluke 1507 tester at thge supply house an was considering purchase,anyone have one I could use a review

I have the 1520 and 1507, what kind of questions do you want answered? There's been some debate on the max ranges of the PI/DAR function. WPTSKI brought this up before. I got the 1507 and was going to let the 1520 go, but I still hung on to it. I think they are both good meters for maintenance. They don't have a logging capability, but they suit their purpose.

Rewire

I have the 1520 and 1507, what kind of questions do you want answered? There's been some debate on the max ranges of the PI/DAR function. WPTSKI brought this up before. I got the 1507 and was going to let the 1520 go, but I still hung on to it. I think they are both good meters for maintenance. They don't have a logging capability, but they suit their purpose.

When a rep shows you the product he will say it is the best thing sinse sliced bread but I prefer to here from guys who have actually used the tool . I am just looking for things like what you have used it for and how it preformed or if you bought it and it sits in the bottom of your tool box.

cadpoint

When a rep shows you the product he will say it is the best thing sinse sliced bread but I prefer to here from guys who have actually used the tool . I am just looking for things like what you have used it for and how it preformed or if you bought it and it sits in the bottom of your tool box.

I looked for reviews as you asked in OP, they're all based on there own literature, I didn't get past the second page of all manufactures based literature.

This is another manufactures site and it is a free copy of "A Stitch in Time",
this will answer a lot of you latest OP questions, Enjoy.

http://www.metercenter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=en-app

IF this link doesn't work I found it by meggers -a stitch in time

wptski

Where a DAR/PI will error out on a Fluke 1507 even when using 1000V, its highest range, a AEMC 1060 is able to complete the test at 500V because it has a higher maximum ranges.

Whatever your testing has to be in poor shape to begin with for the 1507 DAR/PI test to complete. A brand new motor will error out not because it's bad just because the 1507 low maximum range. If your were trending from the day of the install, it's not much use without a value given and if someone else later uses a different insulation tester that completes the test.

zog

I am looking at using it as a troubleshooting tool for motors does it preform well in this area

Not really, as a few have mentioned it has limited DAR/PI range so for testing motors it may not be the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.