How far is the "NEAREST POINT OF ENTRANCE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARTICLE 230.70.(A)1 states that a disconnect shall be installed at the nearest point of entrance.
ARTICLE 230.71(A) states that you can have up to six disconnects as long as they are all grouped on one location.

We installed a 200 amp panel service off a CT inside a indsutrial building. The CT was within 2 ft of the nearest point of entry. Our panel is roughly 7 ft away from the nearest point of entry and aprox 3-4 ft away from the CT. We received a violation saying that our panel was not at the nearest point of entrance and we have to now install a main 400 amp disconnect on the load side of the CT. There are currently less than 6 mains and they are all grouped in the same area. Do any professionals or inspectors have any comment on this situation. I would definetly appreciate some input.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The problem is there is no definition for the term, it is up to the AHJ to set a rule and if each of the areas you work in have their own AHJ you will have a bunch of different rules to keep up with.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In my area, there is a state code that sets the limit at 15 feet. Other areas may have their own local limits.

Rewire

ARTICLE 230.70.(A)1 states that a disconnect shall be installed at the nearest point of entrance.
ARTICLE 230.71(A) states that you can have up to six disconnects as long as they are all grouped on one location.

We installed a 200 amp panel service off a CT inside a indsutrial building. The CT was within 2 ft of the nearest point of entry. Our panel is roughly 7 ft away from the nearest point of entry and aprox 3-4 ft away from the CT. We received a violation saying that our panel was not at the nearest point of entrance and we have to now install a main 400 amp disconnect on the load side of the CT. There are currently less than 6 mains and they are all grouped in the same area. Do any professionals or inspectors have any comment on this situation. I would definetly appreciate some input.

Checking with the AHJ before installation can save a world of headaces,unfortunatly the AHJ gets to decide what "nearest" means.

Unfortunately, this was an existing job. The CT was installed inside the building with 3 mains. We installed the 4th service 3 ft away from the CT and the AHJ now wants us to rip everything out, new and existing, add the 400 amp disconnect, and then feed other 3 mains.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Checking with the AHJ before installation can save a world of headaces, unfortunatly the AHJ gets to decide what "nearest" means.
This is a gray area of the code and like others have mentioned it's up to the AHJ. I used to believe in this approach whole-heartedly but I found that most of the AHJ's in my area are stretched so thin due to budget cuts that they don't have time to come out to your job to tell you how to do the job right. However, if you do the job wrong they'll spend countless hours researching the code(s) to determine exactly why you're wrong. Go figure :-?

bphgravity

Sometimes it's 5', sometimes its 8', and other times it may only be 3'. Most of the time, it is AT THE POINT. The point is that it is a case by case evaluation of the entire circumstances.

As others have stated, good design can typically prevent the issue from coming up all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.