How do I determine the ampacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspectormonte

For an SE 120v/240V with a rectangular meter base/enclosure and a Duncan meter CL60, MR-1S, 120V, TA15, what is the ampacity? The meter appears to be old, but on a newer model base/enclosure. The main disconnect circuit braker cut off is 100 amp.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For an SE 120v/240V with a rectangular meter base/enclosure and a Duncan meter CL60, MR-1S, 120V, TA15, what is the ampacity? The meter appears to be old, but on a newer model base/enclosure. The main disconnect circuit braker cut off is 100 amp.
I'll take a WAG and say it is a 100A service :grin:

nakulak

your question confuses me. why do you want to know the ampacity of a meter ? the power company generally owns and services the meter, and it doesn't fall under the NEC. Or am I misreading the question ?

mxslick

The answer is in the CL60..that is the max load the meter is tested/rated to. So you have a 60 amp service capacity with the existing meter. Due to load diversity you could probably get away with a 100 amp main breaker panel with the proper size feeders. But if you're going through the trouble to upgrade the service, throw the extra bucks at installing a new meter socket, the POCO will appreciate that as it will make future upgrades to electronic metering easier.

Our POCO recently replaced all our old "A" Base meters with new adaptors that will allow a standard meter to plug in. They also changed all the meters to new ones..but they are the old mechanical style..supposedly next year we're gonna get the electronic ones.

Oh, the "TA15" is the amperage that the meter was calibrated with. (15 amps)

iwire

Staff member
The answer is in the CL60..that is the max load the meter is tested/rated to. So you have a 60 amp service capacity with the existing meter.

There is nothing about the meter rating in the NEC and the meter is under the direct control of the utility and is not covered by the NEC. That being the case the power company can choose to place a 60 amp meter in a 200 amp socket / service etc and you still have a 200 amp service. This is no different then the power company running 2 AL for the drop when we run 4/0.

BryKey

This is no different then the power company running 2 AL for the drop when we run 4/0.

I watched in disbeleif as a local POCO fed from the hand hole to the meter on a 300a service with 1/0 Alum. And they would have left it had the homeowner not been an EE and pitched a fit with them.

480sparky

As a general rule (and I emphasis general!), rectangular meter sockets, at least in my area, are 100a. Only round bases are 60a.

Status
Not open for further replies.