Over Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

The HO requested a permit for some remodel work in another town I do not do much work in.

Installed 8 H99 remodel in a vaulted ceiling. (no attic).

He shows up and I am cleaning up. I get the card, he looks up and says, "good job". I say thank you. Did you strap the wire in the ceiling? I said, "of corse" and laughed.

I'm thinking???? Had to ask. "If I fish in a receptacle, do I need to strap the wire in the wall"? He said, "the same code applies" and glared at me. What an idiot!

Does anyone have hands small enough to strap wire through a 4 in hole? Isn't strapping romex so the drywallers do not damage it?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
334.30 Securing and Supporting.

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:

(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
(2) Is not more than 1.4 m (4? ft) from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling.

iwire

Staff member

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:

(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
(2) Is not more than 1.4 m (4? ft) from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling.

So that lets out of us supporting it now how about letting us out of securing it? :cool:

iwire

Staff member
-----------------

I will raise you with that same section. :smile:

Nowhere does it release us from our obligation of securing the cable. 334.30 requires cables be secured within 12" of a box.

Of course I am guilty of this 'violation' just as the rest of you are. :smile:

I am just saying ......... :grin:

iwire

Staff member
At what point does the 12" start?

Consider the use of standard metal box connectors with the clamp on the outside of the box. Is that clamp not within 12" of the box?

I don't know, if you used that box in new work could you run the NM 4.5' before you had to support it?

Consider that the plastic OWs many of us use with NM have no clamp at all.

Rewire

I don't know, if you used that box in new work could you run the NM 4.5' before you had to support it?

Consider that the plastic OWs many of us use with NM have no clamp at all.

back to 334.30 "or similar FITTINGS designed and installed so as not to damage the cable"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But again, if I use a box in new construction work that has a 'real' cable connector would I be allowed to run the NM 4.5' before I secured it again?
Stop that! Logic is not allowed.

We'll just have to agree to agree. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.