Expandable Foam as Duct Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky555

I've recently run into two jobs (200A residential service and feeder J-box for an outbuilding subpanel) where the installation appears professional with the exception of the use of yellow expandable spray foam used to seal the conduit. I assumed this is a violation and the client said he knew electricians using expandable foam on all their installations.

Is there a product I'm not aware of that's suitable as duct seal? I'm assuming this is Great Stuff or similar.

arossi

I've been instructed by and personally witnessed several poco guys use sprayfoam to seal main feeders. They say it gets around the wire good to make a good seal. Only done it a couple of times myself.

Sparky555

If this is a case where there is no NEC requirement to seal, is it then OK to use latex caulk, silicone caulk, construction adhesive, mortar, hydraulic cement, or whatever?

TwinCitySparky

I know its not an NEC thing but I've seen plenty evidence of mice chewing thru expanding foam in other applications... I dont think they do that with duct seal.

JMHSO

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some inspectors will cite a 110.12(B) violation for this unless you have a foam that has been tested and found not to damage the conductor insulation.

iwire

Staff member
Some inspectors will cite a 110.12(B) violation for this unless you have a foam that has been tested and found not to damage the conductor insulation.

I know, but to me this is fairly ridiculous considering that the insulation contractors will use expanding form around all NM cables in a home due to building code requirements.

Has duct seal actually been tested or is it OK 'cause we have always used it?

charlietuna

Expandible foam does not have a U.L. rating like "duct seal". Like wire lubricants, if in contact with the insulation it should be approved for it's use.. Duct seal can be easily removed--expandible foam can be impossible...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I know, but to me this is fairly ridiculous considering that the insulation contractors will use expanding form around all NM cables in a home due to building code requirements.
Maybe another reason to adopt the Chicago code.:grin:
Has duct seal actually been tested or is it OK 'cause we have always used it?
I don't know if it has been tested, but the manufacturer's spec sheets say it won't damage the conductor insulation. I doubt that the expanding foams will either, but they might. I know it didn't cause any problems with my house service entrance where I filled the nipple between the outside meter and the panel with an expanding foam product and that has been in place for about 25 years.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Here's a link to the UL for Through-penetration Firestop Systems, this is a broader test application as I skimmed it, it not to say what material to use but cross references ANSI aspects of type of conduit and what is listed for that application. I've only ever use a RED fire caulk, with Rate stopping and silicone for Hole sealing... where fire is not a concern, and or Specifications stated a requirement.

Is what I'm posting about
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/xhez_search.html

A broader "seal off" page of other things in construction
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/fireressrch.html

and the home UL database page:
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm

You can Use the "Specific Searches" for quick results!

Enjoy

Last edited:

nakulak

Expandible foam does not have a U.L. rating like "duct seal". Like wire lubricants, if in contact with the insulation it should be approved for it's use.. Duct seal can be easily removed--expandible foam can be impossible...

hire the mice in the other post to remove it

GUNNING

how many seals does it take to seal a duct?

how many seals does it take to seal a duct?

There is a red fire caulk foam. Phone co people have been foaming there underground bores with cyanic foam for a long time till they took it away from them. Foam products are now latex based. It might not do what a good duct seal product might do, depends on environment, I would think. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.