Double lugging at breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jczerby

I have been told by master electricians and building inspectors that connecting two wires to the circuit breaker terminal is illegal and a violation of NEC. I don't think so. Many posts on this forum say is is ok, depending on the specs of the breaker terminal, one wire or two. Strictly a mechanical issue of the terminal design, not electrical. Makes sense to me. I see many breakers in the hardware store that explicitly provide for two wires. One master electrician told me that placing two wires on the terminal would prevent the breaker from tripping. As an electrical engineer I know that is nonsense, but try convincing your electrician when he has his mind made up. My question is what can you do when faced with people who are wrong but consider themselves the ultimate authority? When a building inspectors rejects the double lugged connection, who can you appeal to?

iwire

Staff member
When a building inspectors rejects the double lugged connection, who can you appeal to?

In my State it cost around $100 to file an official grievance against an inspector of wires.

If I was getting grief over 'double lugging' I would probably just make a pigtail with a wirenut and move on.

Buck Parrish

I have been told by master electricians and building inspectors that connecting two wires to the circuit breaker terminal is illegal and a violation of NEC. I don't think so. Many posts on this forum say is is ok, depending on the specs of the breaker terminal, one wire or two. Strictly a mechanical issue of the terminal design, not electrical. Makes sense to me. I see many breakers in the hardware store that explicitly provide for two wires. One master electrician told me that placing two wires on the terminal would prevent the breaker from tripping. As an electrical engineer I know that is nonsense, but try convincing your electrician when he has his mind made up. My question is what can you do when faced with people who are wrong but consider themselves the ultimate authority? When a building inspectors rejects the double lugged connection, who can you appeal to?

You would probably have to have the ul listing.

ArcNSpark

In my State it cost around $100 to file an official grievance against an inspector of wires.

If I was getting grief over 'double lugging' I would probably just make a pigtail with a wirenut and move on.

Agreed. I believe that QO breakers are listed for two conductors, though.

Jim W in Tampa

Bet they don't get many. If you win do they return your $100 ? Sounds like a one sided deal that you loose either way.

raider1

Staff member
When a building inspectors rejects the double lugged connection, who can you appeal to?

That really depends on the laws in the area you work in. In my area if you questioned a call that I have made your next recourse is to contact the building official.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.