Let's Twist Again - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

UL doesn't say you 'have' to strip the conductor insulation before using the wirenut, right?:confused::roll:

:D

the instructions on the bag say we have to strip. 110.3B says we have to follow what the UL listing is. the instructions is what the UL listing of the wirenuts are based off of. i dont think wirenuts are ment to be current carriers just to hold the splice together. we did work for some guy that didnt strip any of the wires and put wirenuts and the fixture and it worked. but the current was traveling through the spring of the wirenut

LJSMITH1

the instructions on the bag say we have to strip. 110.3B says we have to follow what the UL listing is. the instructions is what the UL listing of the wirenuts are based off of. i dont think wirenuts are ment to be current carriers just to hold the splice together. we did work for some guy that didnt strip any of the wires and put wirenuts and the fixture and it worked. but the current was traveling through the spring of the wirenut

There are some folks on here that believe that the manufacturer's instructions are more of a "guide" rather than the rule. They also feel that UL does not require instructions to list the product....:rolleyes: (For the record, I do NOT share those opinions. :cool:)

The spring has very sharp edges that could act as insulation displacement contacts if screwed into the unstripped conductor. Depending on how hard the wire nut was twisted, how much insulation was displaced, how much contact pressure was exerted on the bare conductor, and how much current was flowing through those pierced points, would determine if the connection heated up or not. A 1200W toaster might 'toast' that wirenut vs a .5W wall wart (i.e. phone transformer).

cschmid

13 pages of posts on twist or no twist...I could not bring myself to read all 13 pages..just say no to pretwist it is a wasted step and teach proper wire nut usage. like make sure all your wires are even before appling wire nut and 9.9 times out of 10 it will work perfectly.. you can never get perfect except????????????????????? :grin:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
There are some folks on here that believe that the manufacturer's instructions are more of a "guide" rather than the rule. They also feel that UL does not require instructions to list the product....:rolleyes: (For the record, I do NOT share those opinions. :cool:)

FWIW I believe that any instructions in the listing of labeling have to been followed. I would consider the labeling to be anything ON the product or in the published listing... JMO

480sparky

13 pages of posts on twist or no twist...I could not bring myself to read all 13 pages..just say no to pretwist it is a wasted step and teach proper wire nut usage. like make sure all your wires are even before appling wire nut and 9.9 times out of 10 it will work perfectly.. you can never get perfect except????????????????????? :grin:

I dunno. Accepting a 1% failure rate on something so basic and simple seems a tad high. If 1% of all wire-nut splices fail, I can see the fire department being called to every job done with wire nuts.

LJSMITH1

FWIW I believe that any instructions in the listing of labeling have to been followed. I would consider the labeling to be anything ON the product or in the published listing... JMO

Just a FYI...

UL Listings do not specify manufacturer's installation instructions. However, when applying for a listing, the manufacturer is required to include the installation instructions with the product. UL engineers will then install the product per manufacturer's instructions, and test the product to the applicable UL standard. If the product passes the specification, the product is listed. The manufacturer is then required to ensure that the installation instructions are included on the label or literature packed with the product.

If instructions are not included on a label or with the product, the manufacturer could lose its UL listing until the deficiency on all identified product is corrected (either by recall or other means).

Jesse7623

yeah pretwisting makes it really hard for the guy coming after you....with all those wires twisted so badly.where a properly installed wirenut does twist the wires but not nearly so excessively.

Jesse7623

I dunno. Accepting a 1% failure rate on something so basic and simple seems a tad high. If 1% of all wire-nut splices fail, I can see the fire department being called to every job done with wire nuts.

thats right 0.000% should be the only acceptable rule.My apprentice doesnt take time to properly attach the wirenut the way I taught him and he is gone.My boss taught me years ago that this was probably the most important aspect of the trade.

hurk27

yeah pretwisting makes it really hard for the guy coming after you....with all those wires twisted so badly.where a properly installed wirenut does twist the wires but not nearly so excessively.

Yea but if the wire nut was installed the right way the first time, there would have been no reason for the guy to come after me:roll:

wasn't that the subject of the OP?

cschmid

ahh but nothing is perfect if one out of a hundred fail it is normally due to some operator failure. like twisting so tight it breaks the wire off. or connecting a stranded to a nuetral. I was at our new facility today abd in the new break room and 3 outlets for the microwaves did not work and neither did the pizza oven. new installation contractor still there nuetral twisted out of wire nut on one, it happens especially in a hurry.

hillbilly

I pre-twist...there, I've got that out of the way.
I've seen too many loose wire nut connections.
I will not change my mind...or method.:)

As far as the blue boxes.....I use them all the time, so maybe I'm a hack.:smile:

I feel better now.

steve

480sparky

ahh but nothing is perfect if one out of a hundred fail it is normally due to some operator failure. like twisting so tight it breaks the wire off. or connecting a stranded to a nuetral. I was at our new facility today abd in the new break room and 3 outlets for the microwaves did not work and neither did the pizza oven. new installation contractor still there nuetral twisted out of wire nut on one, it happens especially in a hurry.

But all those items listed is nothing the wire nut or the manufacturer can do anything about.... it is the fault of the installer.

This is akin to saying you saw a drunk drive their Ford into a bridge, therefore Fords are unsafe.

hurk27

As far as the blue boxes.....I use them all the time, so maybe I'm a hack.:smile:

I feel better now.

steve

LOL I guess I'm a hack too, I like the blue box's because the save my fingers. when I nail up a box, I grab the stud with my fingers inside of the box to hold it to the stud with my thumb around the stud, well my not so perfect hammering misses once in a while and those fiberglass box's just crush, and "ouch" with the plastic box's the hammer just bounces off:grin: kind of like steel toed shoes for the fingers:cool:

brian john

38 years and 354 days of doing electric work I HAVE NEVER had an issue with this, learning to trouble shoot, undo connections and redo connections is part of the trade.

I pretwist 99% of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.