Class 1 Div 1 Wiring Method relating to Comercial garage applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunrise

It is clear that the code applies the area from the floor to 18 inches above the floor as a class 1 div 1 area. My question is will the code allow a ridgid conduit stubbed from the floor to a power outlet that is above 18 inches without a seal off and with out any fittings between the area from the floor to 18 inches. Also if the conduit is covered in an outside wall or inside wall would that still be classified at a class 1 div 1 location? Send me your answers thanks!

SEO

Look at section 501.15 (A) (4) exception number 1 and number 2. If you use excp #1 the outlet would have to be 30" above finished floor and if you use excp #2 you could use a sealing fitting and install your outlet above 18". As far as conduits covered by a wall adjacent to a classified location what type of wall is it?

kwired

Electron manager
I have been allowed to encase raceways in at least 2 inches of concrete in the past in this type of situation and considered the raceway to be outside of the building. You may want to get approval from AHJ first. I was dealing with an existing situation and this is how we decided to resolve the problem.

Actually my situation was not a branch circuit coming up elswwhere in the same building but was the feeder supplying the building.

Last edited:

sgunsel

Major or minor repair garage? With or without indoor fueling? With or without (adequate) mechanical ventilation? These determine the proper classification of the areas.

For example, a minor repair garage with no fuel dispensing and no ventilation has NO Class I, Division 1 areas, and only limited Class I, Division 2 areas.

Review article 511 - it's only about 2 pages long, pretty clear, and can save you a lot of needless expense.

shaw0486

outdoor pump

outdoor pump

i have a pump house classified as 1 and division 1, does the wiring method out to my pump have to be ridgid metal conduit or is the out door pump not considered classified? any info will be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.