Ufer needs 25 OHMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aledrell

Completed panel change out recently and the inspector left a note requiring that I show the ufer's resistance at 25 OHMS. What is he looking for? How would one test this resistance? Aparently he wants grounds rods if this can not be done. I've never had such a request in five years, some these guys these days seem to be doing what ever they can to justify their jobs. Existing ufers were always excepted before.

dereckbc

Staff member
Did he by chance inspect the CCE before the concrete was poured? If he did not my guess is he doubts you met the requirements of a CCE.

Aledrell

Did he by chance inspect the CCE before the concrete was poured? If he did not my guess is he doubts you met the requirements of a CCE.

I doubt he inspected the ufer before concrete was poured. The house is 25 plus years old the panel was changed using existing ufer. I'm sure an inspector back in the day inspected the ufer, otherwise panel would have never been energized.

dereckbc

Staff member
How would this resistance be checked?
It will be much easier and cheaper to drive the two rods and be done with it.

To prove a ufer will really require a 3-point fall of potential test which requires a field of 6 times the length of the foundation.

Or if he will accpet a ground loop tester reading, then all you have to do is rent or borrow one, otherwise they cost over $1000. All you do with them is clamp the grounded circuit conductor and use the utility ground as a reference.

dereckbc

Staff member
I doubt he inspected the ufer before concrete was poured. The house is 25 plus years old the panel was changed using existing ufer. I'm sure an inspector back in the day inspected the ufer, otherwise panel would have never been energized.
:grin: Well I am old, but to be honest I do not know if a CCE was accepted that long ago?

480sparky

The 25 ohm requirement of 250.56 applies only to rod, pipes or plates as listed in 250.52(A)(4) through (8). CCEs are in 250.52(A)(3) .

radiopet

I do not believe the 25 OHMS comes into play as far as the NEC is concerned regarding the CEE. It appears the issue is only with the following:

250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes. A
single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does
not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be
augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types
specified by 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8). Where multiple
rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements
of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m
(6 ft) apart.

heck to be honest, you could have 1000 OHMS and drive a second rod and reduce it down to lets say 100 OHMS and basically you are done. Before I would worry about testing the CEE, I would ask him if driving (2) rods would make him happy and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.