3 speed electric motor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

What color wire is the highest speed on a 240 volt single phase evaporator motor. I have 4 leads 1 common and a red, black and a blue. I need this evaporator to run on high speed but the motor data label is covered with the mounting bracket.

norcal

Black = high speed.
Blue = medium speed.
Red = low speed.

Brown leads are for the cap

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cadpoint

What color wire is the highest speed on a 240 volt single phase evaporator motor. I have 4 leads 1 common and a red, black and a blue. I need this evaporator to run on high speed but the motor data label is covered with the mounting bracket.

Black = high speed.
Blue = medium speed.
Red = low speed.

Brown leads are for the cap

Hope this helps.

So one will put the Black and the Brown together, in this case, right?
Is it internal that controls the capacitors that will be turned off, once the unit is up to speed or they will never be turned off, and keep firing (to support the missing sine wave)?

I don't think I've ever wired nor been around a 240 single phase motor!

I simple floor buffer, 120V you can hear the Cap. turning off as the unit comes up to required rpm's

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So one will put the Black and the Brown together, in this case, right?
No. The browns should both just hit the cap. One would be a different color otherwise.

Is it internal that controls the capacitors that will be turned off, once the unit is up to speed or they will never be turned off, and keep firing (to support the missing sine wave)?
This is a 'run' cap, not a 'start' cap, and is always in the circuit. It's used to create a 'second phase' in a split-phase motor.

I simple floor buffer, 120V you can hear the Cap. turning off as the unit comes up to required rpm's
That's a centrifugal switch, which does open a start winding. Your clothes dryer does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.