reciprocity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
thank you much, but not there.

I found this. I assume it also means you can work in Mass, Vermont or Maine by applying for reciprocity. Take note of the highlight.

The Board issues master and journeyman licenses and apprentice identification cards. They also require you to pass an exam to get a license.
To qualify for the master's licensing exam you must work as a New Hampshire-licensed journeyman for at least one year.
To qualify for the journeyman's licensing exam you need 8,000 hours of work experience and an Associate Degree in Electricity (or Board-approved equivalent). You can use your schooling for up to one year of the work experience requirement.
To qualify for an apprentice electrician identification card you need to register as an apprentice with the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training of the U.S. Department of Labor or a state apprenticeship agency. The Board may accept out-of-state work experience and education for any of these requirements.
The journeyman and master exams have two sections. One section has 25 questions based on the National Electrical Code. The other section has 50 questions based on:

• RSA 319-C
  • Practical electrical installations as defined in RSA 319-C:12, III
  • American Electricians Handbook, 1996, 13th edition, Croft/Summers, McGraw-Hill Inc., Box 543, Blacklick, OH 43004-0543
If you have a license in Massachusetts, Vermont, or Maine, you can apply for a New Hampshire license by reciprocity. You'll still need four years of work experience and you have to pay the licensing fees. You can't get reciprocity if you've ever failed a New Hampshire electrician's exam.
fees.GIF
Electrician's license fees: It will cost you $50 to file an application for an electrical exam. The master license costs $75 and the journeyman license costs $30. Your license will expire on the last day of the month of your birth.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
thank you much, but not there.

That page had all the reciprocating states listed on it before. Why did they remove them? Maybe they are making some changes. I sure hope so. I live in SC. and one of my reciprocating states is Utah. UTAH, makes no sense to me.
No Florida either. How do they come up with states that reciprocate with one another? I am asking.

480sparky

That page had all the reciprocating states listed on it before. Why did they remove them? Maybe they are making some changes. I sure hope so. I live in SC. and one of my reciprocating states is Utah. UTAH, makes no sense to me.
No Florida either. How do they come up with states that reciprocate with one another? I am asking.

Last month I heard some states pulled out of multi-state agreements.

MSAs are not regulated or mandated by any governing body. They are just agreements between the AHJs of the states involved and can be dissolved with the stroke of a pen in some cases.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician

MSAs are not regulated or mandated by any governing body. They are just agreements between the AHJs of the states involved and can be dissolved with the stroke of a pen in some cases.

Thanks 480.

paul

Washington is one of those that has pulled out.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I image reciprocity can start to become unpopular as work gets harder to find due to the failing economy. My guess is that the majority of electricians in any state would prefer not to allow electricians from other states to "steal their work". My guess is that the majority of electricians are far enough in land in their state that they don't consider doing out of state work...

480sparky

I image reciprocity can start to become unpopular as work gets harder to find due to the failing economy. My guess is that the majority of electricians in any state would prefer not to allow electricians from other states to "steal their work". My guess is that the majority of electricians are far enough in land in their state that they don't consider doing out of state work...

Of course, that's closing off a two-way street. Now they are prevented from traveling to that state and working.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Of course, that's closing off a two-way street. Now they are prevented from traveling to that state and working.

Sure. I guess my assumption was that there a lot more electricians in the middle of most states that wouldn't consider traveling outside it due to distance, than those around the border of any given state that would like to travel out of state.

I personally live five miles from the border of my state and wish there was reciprocity.

lefty

reciprocity

The mult-state reciprocity group meet is in NH Aug. 3rd and 4th, there will be a proposal voted on to let all states into that group, which each state will be able to pick and choose which state it wants to reciprocate with and make an agreement with. This has been an issue for years, and has people on both sides, remember this is not binding just because your state becomes a member, they still have to make an agreement with the state it wants to reciprocate with. Therefore let your state officials hear your concerns, they will be the ones making the decision. The good thing this meeting will produce is new ideas and how other states are handling problems, apprenticeship, education, and various laws that effect our trade. I look forward to hearing your concerns, ideas, and your opinions on this.

lefty

New Hampshire multi-state reciprocal group

New Hampshire multi-state reciprocal group

The meeting had a proposal for all the states to be accepted in and then each state could pick and choose which states it wants to reciprocate with. The New states that are to be voted on to be accepted into the group will be Texas, Maine and Iowa. Both the proposal for the addition to the bylaws and the proposed states will be voted on in a teleconference in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.