Weather proof fan box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I am wiring an outdoor gazebo. Since this is a damp location I will be using weather proof boxes, UF and pvc. I will need to install a ceiling fan. What type of boxes are available for installing a ceiling fan in this location?
Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Most fan boxes I would think are rated for damp locations so a regular fan box could be used. Or you could use a regular wet location box and independently support the fan.

dcspector

Most fan boxes I would think are rated for damp locations so a regular fan box could be used.

I agree with Rob considering the ceiling suspended Paddle Fan Dome cover would encapsulate the dry location listed fan box. Also, SEO asked if had a roof.....more than likely but cannot assume.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
roof

roof

Yes, the gazebo has a roof. It has exposed sides (screened) and open framing on the interior. This seems to fit the definition of "damp location." I plan on sleeving UF cable in pvc up to the ceiling area and extend the UF over to the fan.
I doubt there would be any complications with using any type of fan box, including plastic, but I don't want to fail an inspection.

electricmanscott

Yes, the gazebo has a roof. It has exposed sides (screened) and open framing on the interior. This seems to fit the definition of "damp location." I plan on sleeving UF cable in pvc up to the ceiling area and extend the UF over to the fan.
I doubt there would be any complications with using any type of fan box, including plastic, but I don't want to fail an inspection.

As mentioned any damp location box will do. I used a regular wp box in a similar setup. The support screw go right through the box and are secured to the gazebo. No need for a "fan box".

active1

Why not just use EMT?

SEO

The reason I asked if the gazbo had a roof was because I went to look at a fan installtion for two fans in what the owner called a gazabo and it didn't have a roof. He had purchased two damp location fans and wanted to hang them so that they would be exposed to direct pouring rain and snow. He was misinformed by the people he bought them from not knowing the difference between a damp and a wet location.

By the way most inspectors are really decent people.:smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wired a wet-rated fan in an open gazebo last year. They have gaskets and drain holes for any water that does get into the housings, domes, and canopy parts.

I used a 4-1/4" hole saw to make a recess where the roof ribs met in the center and mounted a round metal bell-box, and the fan bracket screws directly into solid wood.

The UF entered the box through the kind of cable clamp that looks like a compression EMT connector, but with a rubber gland with an oval hole in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.