tile rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it a code violation to use a tile ring for an installation where there is no tile? I have wall that are 3 layers of 5/8 or 1 7/8 ". A 2" tile ring would work great with the box recessed a little.

Are you referring to a device ring - a mud or plaster ring like this....

07861.jpg

When you say tile ring I think of a floor box ring but I assume you are referring to the above, and yes it is legal.

I am curious as to what else you would use, in a new install - not using a cut in box ?

I thought I read somewhere this was a violation. Just checking. I guess you would use a collar and 3/8 mudring

iwire

Staff member
Thank you. The square corners do make it a tile ring.

No, the square corners just mean it is a welded raised ring, the ones with rounded corners are drawn.

Same situation with the 4" squares they mount to, they can have pointy corners if they are welded boxes or rounded corners if they are drawn boxes.

I am looking at a steel city book and they call them tile rings. Extension rings or mud rings are only made up to 1 1/2 "

ultramegabob

Extension rings or mud rings are only made up to 1 1/2 "

I think that "raised ring, tile ring, plaster ring, mud ring, are all interchangeable terms, could be regional slang, but as far as I know an extension ring is a totally differnt animal all together....

dcspector

I think that "raised ring, tile ring, plaster ring, mud ring, are all interchangeable terms, could be regional slang, but as far as I know an extension ring is a totally differnt animal all together....

The EC's out here are using the adjustable listed extender.....I think T&B carries it....Also, anyone out there using a product called quick connect or protectconnect.com ?

ultramegabob

T&B makes the adjustable "Mud Ring" separately.

the first time I looked at the website I just saw a bunch of fandangled switch modules, I didnt realize they had adjustable mudrings when I was looking at them, never seen that company, but they carry the adjustable mudrings at most of the supply houses in my area, I have used one in a firewall, it worked fine, but I think if you know what size ring to order its cheaper to just use the regular ones, the adjustable is fine for oddball walls...

dcspector

All the adjustables I have seen only go up to 1-1/2" deep.

An inch and a half what more could one ask for? Hey all I just threw the product out there did not know if ya'll knew it existed. No biggy just trying to help. Going back to the OP I feel a bit more coordination might have been in order....as far as wall assembly and finish....JMO and see 314.20

Last edited:

paul

I always wondered why they call those 'tile rings'. I can't recall the last time I came across tile that was 1-1/2"+ thick.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In the old days this is what I was taught from the marketing guys at T&B.

Square corners make it easy for the wall tile to be cut close to the box.
Rounded corners make it easy for the mud (plaster) to dry evenly with less cracking.

Electrically and "listing" wise they are interchangeable. I believe current manufacturing and installation methods make the difference almost irrelevant.

masterinbama

I always wondered why they call those 'tile rings'. I can't recall the last time I came across tile that was 1-1/2"+ thick.

We have a lot of schools around here built in the 1960's that have glazed masonry units layed up to the 6' level and then standard concrete block above them. The old guys I apprenticed for called those tiles..

Status
Not open for further replies.