300.50 cover requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the special footnote
Cover is defined as the shortest distance in millimeters (inches) measured between a point on the top surface of any direct-buried conductor, cable, conduit, or other raceway and the top surface of finished grade, concrete, or similar cover.

Edit. I obviously don't believe what I wrote in the earlier post about needing 6' of dirt cover.

Last edited:

ddavi280

This is the Physical plant portion of the university, it is most definately industrial and is maintained by a Engineers and an Oregon General Supervising electrician. This installation is behind a locked gate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is the Physical plant portion of the university, it is most definately industrial and is maintained by a Engineers and an Oregon General Supervising electrician. This installation is behind a locked gate.

Go for it. Sounds like you got it figured out.

hardworkingstiff

So you have a clear picture of what we have... Finished grade will have 1 inch of asphalt followed by 6 inches of concrete to the top of my conduit. (which can't go any deeper due to conditions).

Just curious, what conditions exist that won't allow 24" or more of cover?

I'm not sure you are an "industrial establishment". The area is in control, but............... ?

ddavi280

Boxed in by a tunnell with steam lines. Original plan was to go under but there was a sump system in the way and extensive use of pea gravel backfill.Half of the pipes can go through and the other half will go over the top of the tunnell.

Status
Not open for further replies.