Conduit vs. Armored Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hello,

I have to run 3#10 +GND about 175 feet from one end of a warehouse to another... in your experience is it cheaper (considering materials and labour) to do this with wire in conduit or just run an armored (teck) cable?

Thanks!

MD88

We only use MC cable for short runs (max 10 ft) for the final terminations to light fixtures and receptacles.

Oops, I mean we only use BX (... or AC) for that... thanks!

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I have to run 3#10 +GND about 175 feet from one end of a warehouse to another... in your experience is it cheaper (considering materials and labor) to do this with wire in conduit or just run an armored (teck) cable?

Thanks!

Without a doubt MC even if you spend some money on specific supports from Caddy etc.

Rewire

Something you may want to consider is will you ever be comming back to run another circuit.We were working in a new factory and they needed just one 220V 20 A circuit ran to a location about 125Ft from the panel. As I was talking with the owner he mentioned two other machines would probably be installed later. We ran a 3/4 conduit with spares we billed them and six months later he called and had another machine hen asked if it would be the same price as the last machine and I said yes. Then a few months later we did the third machine.

Besoeker

MC is costlier because it has an insulated equipment grounding conductor.

Except for MCAP, of course.:grin:
Very helpful. :rolleyes:
I' just trying to get a fix on what, in US, you call MC.
In UK, and elewhere in the world, we have SWA PVC and XPLA.
The armouring is insulated from the outside world and from the conductors. It is normally grounded at both ends and can, in some circumstances, be used as a grounding conductor.

ceb58

Very helpful. :rolleyes:
I' just trying to get a fix on what, in US, you call MC.
In UK, and elewhere in the world, we have SWA PVC and XPLA.
The armouring is insulated from the outside world and from the conductors. It is normally grounded at both ends and can, in some circumstances, be used as a grounding conductor.

I think he may be referring to greenfield or liquid tight vs conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.