Terminating Voice and Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

I wouldn't risk the crosstalk and possible data performance reduction.

I dont see any issues really, though I have never tried it. The frequencies of POTS and ethernet are very far apart. You could get some noise on the POTS line, but as far as data transfer, due to CSMA/CD errors are not a big deal.

If anyone has some factual info on this, I would be interested to hear it though.

~Matt

Stallzer

Back to topic.....

The industry standard is minimum Cat5 enhanced for both Voice and Data. Also for the record 66 Blocks are available in 100Mb, but the correct way to terminate the Voice is on a Patch Panel or 110 Block. Cat 3 (10Mb) cable is almost obsolete with the cable distributors and Manufacturers that I deal with on a daily basis and with the price of copper down and the emergence of Cat 6 and Augmented 6, category 5 cable is not very expensive. If the area you are pulling the cable is not a rated Plenum space you could use PVC jacketed cable to even save a few more bucks. The only benefit you'd ever see from using Cat3 cable would be to save 100 dollars on the installation, the benefits of using cat5 or Enhanced cat 5 are worth the few bucks. You could easily make the Voice a Data Jack, but not Vice versa. You could make it a Printer Port for a network printer if you needed, and you wouldn't do an installation you might have to redo sometime in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.