Pulling (4) 500kcmil XHHW conductors through 4" diameter 40 PVC conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc14

Occupation
Engineer
How difficult would it be to pull (4) 500kcmil XHHW conductors through a 4" diameter Schedule 40 PVC conduit? The conduit run will have (2) wide 90 degree bends. Would pulling in (8) 250kcmil XHHW conductors in the 4" diameter schedule 40 PVC conduit be an easier task?

The OD of the 500kcmil XHHW conductor is just under 1-inch, and I'm thinking this is going to be really difficult to put through. :confused::confused:

Any body here encounter a similar situation?

quogueelectric

How difficult would it be to pull (4) 500kcmil XHHW conductors through a 4" diameter Schedule 40 PVC conduit? The conduit run will have (2) wide 90 degree bends. Would pulling in (8) 250kcmil XHHW conductors in the 4" diameter schedule 40 PVC conduit be an easier task?

The OD of the 500kcmil XHHW conductor is just under 1-inch, and I'm thinking this is going to be really difficult to put through. :confused::confused:

Dont be scared just pull them in.

iwire

Staff member
No EGC?

I assume these are service conductors and we would put 500s in 4" without a second thought.

I have put four 500s and EGC in 3" EMT quite a few times.

emahler

we are looking at a couple of pulls of 4-600's, 2-500's and a 2/0 in a 4" IMC...length of about 1400'....

code legal...just not positive how practical:grin:

jrannis

I just tried to pull a burned nest of 8 250s out of a 4" PVC. No luck.
I can't imagine why they would have done that unless the wire was free or something. The run is over 400' with two pull boxes.
I am going to replace it with 4- 500s. I can't think of one good reason to pull in 8- 250's you will have to derate them.
500 mcm fits very nice in a 4" and is a basic feeder size.

rrc14

Occupation
Engineer
The conduit run is about 300' in length. The conduit goes 35' down from a pull box and then encounters a wide 90 degree bend and then runs about 225' and then encounters another wide 90 degree bend and turns up 35' to a pull box. The conduit is encased in concrete.

Thanks for the very interesting responses.

iwire

Staff member
We have an underground sub that thinks 3" is just perfect for 500s

Here are four 500s and EGC in 3" EMT .... fits like a glove.

000_0878.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Using 2' radius 90s and the run information in post #8, my pull calc software says the pulling force for the four 500s would be 1065 pounds and for the eight 250s it would be 1088.

electricalperson

make sure you use plenty of lube. more lube the better. and make sure you set the pull up right, use a puller and keep the wires in a nice bundle. if those wires twist in the conduit you will have a problem on your hands. MAKE SURE YOU USE A BUSHING ON THAT MALE ADAPTER!! ive seen a pvc male adapter strip XHHW insulation off down to the aluminum. you dont want that happening in the middle of the run. if its easier you can put a pulley above where you want to feed it in so all you have to do is just keep the wires nice.

have a few guys unrolling the wire off of the reels too

dont put any lube on the rope or else it will have a problem holding onto the tugger

this is a very large pull so just be careful doing it. duct tape works damn good on these kinds of pulls. i dont know what you are using to attach the wire to the rope. we have these things we call fingers that have an allen key that tighten down to the wire. we just ring it and remove a bunch of strans and stick it in the connector and tighten it down until it doesnt move then use plenty of tape

the planning is the biggest part of this. its probably easier to feed it into the transformer pad and pull from the tub if this is for a service

As for - Code - none that I am aware of, but there is some school of thought that it restricts the ventilation, but even by coming into the side and then laying all the wire across the venting you are doing the same thing...IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.