Circuit Breaker Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFE Tester

I have to test a westinghouse circuit breaker that is retrofitted with an old AmptectorII, model TR. I believe it has six (6) "pins" on the side. Is there a secondary test set that I can use to test it. The "pins" are not the kind you can plug into.

Thanks

brian john

A any calibrated current source (that can produce up to 60 amps) is adequate such as you use for testing motor OL. These pins are A, B C, neutral for GF and common secondaries of the CTs to with a XXX to 5.

You do have to move jumpers for GF testing, assuming you have GF on the CB.

BUT if you do not know what you are doing you might want to sub this out.

Zog will correct this if I am wrong or missed something.

zog

Brian is right on all points, but it also depends on if it is a 3 or 4 wire configuration. A secondary injection test only tests the trip unit and actuator, it does not test the CT's.

There are secondary injection test sets for testing amptectors, we have several, they will run about $2,000 used if you can find one with all the cables.

Many specs require primary injection testing of circuit breakers, in which case you will need a 20kA-40kA current source, depending on the breaker rating.

Your best bet is to hire a testing company to do this for you, if you want PM me and I will give you a contact in your area.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
You could secondary injection test the trip unit, and test continuity of the CTs.
I wouldn't recommend that if it was the first time the breaker was put in service, since primary injection verifies CT turns ratio. But it's a simple way to test or set the trip unit, while assuring CT operation.

John M

Status
Not open for further replies.