Soffit lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

Does anyone know of a recessed light that can be easily installed in a vinyl soffit. This is an existing house and the soffits are 25 to 30' above the ground and have to be worked off of an extension ladder. Line voltage or low voltage either one will work.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Above the vinyl, you should find the rafter tails. You should be able to mount new-work cans between them with the brackets, just like you would between ceiling joists. Either that, or turn them 90 and mount them between the house wall and the fascia.

masterinbama

The soffit is already in place. I was trying to avoid pulling the vinyl down. this soffit is very small (only 10")and I was hoping that the vinyl and maybe some stiffeners would support some light weight remodels

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The soffit is already in place. I was trying to avoid pulling the vinyl down. this soffit is very small (only 10")and I was hoping that the vinyl and maybe some stiffeners would support some light weight remodels
In that case, start with a hole-saw and see what's around the hole. If you can get the brackets through the hole, they'll probably spread the weight out enough for sag-free support. You might even get away with using remodel housings.

masterinbama

That's why I was hoping maybe something in low voltage. I do not do a lot of residential so I am not well versed on the products out there. This job is for a process engineer that "gives" us a lot of PLC additions and upgrades

nez

Try the progress 4" old works They are pretty light. You may have some access to the soffit from the attic.

nakulak

If all there is to attach to is vinyl soffit how would you attache a 4" remodel can ? (I'm not being sarcastic, I've only put them in drywall and cabinets and I think they are a pain in the butt)

active1

Most of the soffits I seen had plywood under the metal, don't remember many vinyl. Being only a 10" soffit maybe it's open inside. If house is older than vinyl (I'm guessing the 80"s) then their may be something elce under it.

A good point with the roof pitch and can height. I'm also thinking if the soffit is 10" you will be only a few inches from the side of the house to the can. This would give a cone shapped light pattern washing upper side of the house.

Finely I would not use the vinyl to support any can. Even if it will look like it will hold what will happen in hot weather with the lamp on. My guess is it wil deform and sag. Besides what is holding the soffit panels in? I'm thinking it slides into a vinyl chanel and snaps into the next piece.

JohnJ0906

Finely I would not use the vinyl to support any can. Even if it will look like it will hold what will happen in hot weather with the lamp on. My guess is it wil deform and sag. Besides what is holding the soffit panels in? I'm thinking it slides into a vinyl chanel and snaps into the next piece.

I really don't think that any vinyl soffit will support any recess can on it's own. I think you will have to find a way to support the cans independently.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you do try it then cut the hole out then insert two 1/2" strips of wood (plywood) that will span between the rafter tails-- one on each side of the can. Then insert two more that will space between the ones you installed. Basically you are making a frame around the can for the brackets to catch and the wood should help support the span. If you install a small screw very close to the opening and the trim will cover it then this will hold the wood in place.

charlietuna

Proper support would be from the house structure--remove the vinyl,install the fixture and re-install the vinyl. I would consider the new LED lamps since they are inaccessible to your customer due to heigth.

Status
Not open for further replies.