POCO says check your code book

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

We require all of our downtown meters to be cold sequence and are now requiring cold sequence for the outlying areas where the service is over 300 volts. This is normally done with the service disconnecting means in front of the meter but a meter disconnect may also be used. :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Call the power co. and see if you can verify with someone else that the meter disconnects are required.

Bottom line, if the power co. isn't happy you won't get hooked up. Should only take you 5 mins. to know for sure.

Minuteman

One of our Rural Co-Op PoCo has this same requirement. I installed a new service for a new well once just barley inside city limits once. City inspector passed my install. Co-Op meter hanger said that I had to have a meter disco. I called the inspector and he said "guess you would be best to put one in".

macmikeman

I have a 400 amp panel wit a main breaker, fed right from a meter with a bypass. Inspector says this is fine, everyone else says its fine, the METER guy from the POCO says i need a disco BEFORE the meter, and to check my code book, and her is getting my inspector in trouble for passing me. What code could he be referring to?

He might be referencing the "NESC" which many poco's now are adopting as their own code. I have no copy handy, so I cannot look this question up for you right now. When I need to reference it I have to go to the state library to look at their copy. Our poco is now using the NESC for its reference due to the state legislature adopting it on the poco's behalf. Trouble is that although they constantly refer us to "the new requirements per the NESC" it is pretty much a case of they don't seem to apply "Charley's" rule much and are imposing a lot of unsupported by the NESC rubbish on local EC's. I wish somebody over there would take the time to really read the thing.

charlie

He might be referencing the "NESC" which many poco's now are adopting as their own code. . . I wish somebody over there would take the time to really read the thing.
The NESC is silent on this subject. Most states adopt the NESC into law and the courts enforce it when someone gets hurt or killed by contacting our primary voltage. Yes, we read the NESC and develop our standards to comply with it; California has their own version of the NESC.

Keep in mind that all electric utilities get to set any rules they like to protect their workers and the cash register (meter). Since we can, we do and that is where cold sequence come from, not the NESC. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.