Spot the Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
This is an easy one. The cable hanging out of the panel is temporary, so that's not the violation I was thinking about.

Sorry for the small picture size, but I think its large enough to spot what's going on, and its the largest I could upload directly to the code forum. And I had to rotate the picture due to the picture height limit. So the top of the panel is on the right side.

View attachment 3499

Steve

Cavie

This is an easy one. The cable hanging out of the panel is temporary, so that's not the violation I was thinking about.

Sorry for the small picture size, but I think its large enough to spot what's going on, and its the largest I could upload directly to the code forum. And I had to rotate the picture due to the picture height limit. So the top of the panel is on the right side.

View attachment 3499

Steve

Can't sopt the violation per say but the location of the main seems a little strange. It appears to be a 2 peice interior cover? Somthing home made? Just doesn't look right.

480sparky

I'd say there's something fishy about that 8/3- or 6/3-WG flying out of the front of panel.

I'd like to know what the 3 odd openings are. More OCPDs? Devices?

Cavie

OP did state that he had to rotate the picture and the top of the panel is on the right and also said to ignore the cable as it is a temp hook up. So I can see that at least three of use cannot spot the violation.

480sparky

447 x 259 isn't a very large image.

P1050465a.jpg

OK, so even after I enlarge it, all I get are pixels.

About all I can make out is it looks like something (a large cable or conductor) is draped over the top right corner of the dead front.

bhsrnd

A violation of 312.2 maybe? I see tile on the left side of the panel so, is this a wet location and the panel isn't rated for wet locations? Looks like some rust on the top of the inner cover, but hard to tell.

480sparky

A violation of 312.2 maybe? I see tile on the left side of the panel so, is this a wet location and the panel isn't rated for wet locations? Looks like some rust on the top of the inner cover, but hard to tell.

If it is tile (I thought it was CMUs), then they stop short of the top of the tub. They look like they're even with the top of the dead front. If so, then 312.3.

Riograndeelectric

look to me like some one added the breakers at the top in which the panle was not designed for or they were added were the main breaker should be. Looks like the metal around the top brekaers was cut out in the field.

480sparky

look to me like some one added the breakers at the top in which the panle was not designed for or they were added were the main breaker should be. Looks like the metal around the top brekaers was cut out in the field.

FWIW, the ones at the top and bottom could be metal labels that are riveted on.

Good point, but the suspense is killing me! :D

Same here. But it's not the suspense... it's my eyes.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to keep you in suspense for so long. It would have been easier if the picture was better. The 620x280 pixel limit that this forum has is pretty crude - I'll have to sign back up at photobucket. And yes, like I mentioned, I had to rotate the picture or it would have been worse.

I think 480V Sparky was the first to get it right - Someone has cut a hole in the cover and added 2 more circuit breakers - one is even a tandem breaker. I'm not sure how they connected them, because I sure there isn't a horizontal bus at the top of this panel.

The effort people will go though to do something wrong is just amazing. The guy who did this was probably really proud of himself too.

Steve

Cavie

Can't sopt the violation per say but the location of the main seems a little strange. It appears to be a 2 peice interior cover? Somthing home made? Just doesn't look right.

As poster #2, I'll take crfedit for spoting it. Just hard to see. So take off the cover and show us how it was done!!!!!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
As poster #2, I'll take crfedit for spoting it. Just hard to see. So take off the cover and show us how it was done!!!!!

OK, you get credit too.

Regarding taking the cover off, well...., have you seen the signs at the zoo that say "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS"? There is something similar outside my office that says something about not letting the engineer handle tools. :grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OP did state that he had to rotate the picture and the top of the panel is on the right and also said to ignore the cable as it is a temp hook up. So I can see that at least three of use cannot spot the violation.

Hey, just because I'm a trained observer doesn't mean I can read.:grin:

PetrosA

I'm going to guess they took a SquareD ML disconnect and somehow mounted the setup inside this panel and just tapped into the main lugs. Wouldn't surprise me if whatever they mounted it on straddles one of the feeders, too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.