20A ckt with a 15 A outlet- easy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

heres a start. remember it says max 'amp is 15'. i will get another one later, that if i recall correctly it says specifically max of 15 amp circuit only.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100662611

I don't see any 'max 15 amps' or '15a circuit only'.

15 Amp, 125 Volt, NEMA: 5-15R, Pole: 2, 3-Wire, Tamper Resistant, Decora, Duplex Receptacle, Straight Blade, Grounding, Quick wire Push-In & Side, Standards and Certifications: UL/CSA, Warranty: 2 Year Limited, White, 2008 NEC compliant
  • White Finish
  • Tamper Resistant Receptacle
  • Meets 2008 NEC requirements
  • Tamper Resistant Quick wire push-in and side wired
  • MFG Brand Name : Leviton
  • MFG Model # : 205-T5325-00W
  • MFG Part # : 205-T5325-00W
ADA Compliant : No
Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 4 In.
Assembled Height (In Inches) : 0.7 In.
Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 0.33
Assembled Width (In Inches) : 1.31 In.
CSA Certified : Yes
Color / Finish : White
ETL Safety Listing : No
Lockable : No
Maximum Amperage : 15 A.
Motion Detection : No
Receptacle Type : Duplex
Voltage : 125 V.

The only limiting thing I can see is if you use the back-stab connections, you're limited to 14-ga wire, which then limits you to a 15a circuit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see any 'max 15 amps' or '15a circuit only'.

You may have missed it, but regardless, these specs don't seem to be the same specs from the manufacturer that Bob posted.
ADA Compliant : No
Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 4 In.
Assembled Height (In Inches) : 0.7 In.
Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 0.33
Assembled Width (In Inches) : 1.31 In.
CSA Certified : Yes
Color / Finish : White
ETL Safety Listing : No
Lockable : No
Maximum Amperage : 15 A.
Motion Detection : No
Receptacle Type : Duplex
Voltage : 125 V.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would have to say I agree with Bob. The manufacture specs don't show that limit. I could see a boatload of trouble ifI used the HomeDepot spec sheets as my inspection guidelines.
I have enough trouble with "the guy at Home Depot told me this is what I needed" :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I would have to say I agree with Bob. The manufacture specs don't show that limit. I could see a boatload of trouble ifI used the HomeDepot spec sheets as my inspection guidelines.
I have enough trouble with "the guy at Home Depot told me this is what I needed" :D
That spec does not limit the circuit ampacity to 15A. It says "maximum amperage"... not "maximum circuit ampacity". It is the ampere rating for the device itself, not the circuit. If the device didn't have this rating, this thread would not have started in the first place ;)

Last edited:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some residential grade receptacles have or had a 15 amp maximum rating on the back but this is in reference to the quick wire holes not the entire device. I think they mark it this way to discourage installers from drilling out the holes to accept #12 wire or using #14 pigtails on 20 amp circuits. If using the screw terminals the 15 amp maximum rating doesn?t apply.

Nothing personal but if you can not show me one I do not believe it. :)

Ok, believe it not, I found the brand. Its not showing it online though, its written on the box. I know its been a long time. ;)

They are made by 'cooper wiring devices' NEMA 5-15R EEMAC 5-15R model box number BR15W its 10 in a box.

It specifically says, in #5. on the back of the box, "Install 15 amp receptacle into 15 amp CIRCUIT ONLY. " This is both side and back wired. Not just for the back wire. and Yes you use up to size 10awg for the back. They are sold at Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.