Wiring in Seamless Metal Decking Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done a job that used this type of product ?

http://www.epicmetals.com/

I have 50 pendent mounted fixtures to hang on this surface and not sure how I am going to get the wire to the fixture box...:-?

Looking for anyone who has had any experience with this product...

After talking to the sales rep he says what he has seen is roof penetrations and then piping on top of the roof, but there has got to be a better way...

tkb

Ask the architect how he planned on the wiring to get through the ceiling.

EMT on the surface

and paint to match.;)

Yea, if it was that simple I wouldn't have asked the question. :roll:

This is a finished product on installation, painted and insulated from the factory, that they have paid, I am sure a handsome price - just to hide all the seams in the decking....So if they don't want to even see the seams - the last thing they want is a bunch of EMT hanging on it...

This decking has cells in it that you can run EMT or even MC Cable, it is a matter of getting out of it and hanging the boxes on it...

If anyone has done a Hummer Dealership, it is the same system as they used..

Has anyone done a job that used this type of product ?

http://www.epicmetals.com/

I have 50 pendent mounted fixtures to hang on this surface and not sure how I am going to get the wire to the fixture box...:-?

Looking for anyone who has had any experience with this product...

After talking to the sales rep he says what he has seen is roof penetrations and then piping on top of the roof, but there has got to be a better way...

It seems to me that this should be engineered before the pendant fixtures were purchsed.

There are many diffrent roof structure offering and the estethic issue is not something what an EC is or should be expected to do.

How is the HVAC ducting done?

Penetrating a roof is a VERY bad idea.

Couple of ideas:
  1. Wiremold or any of its obscure architectural variants
  2. Continous fluorescent strips such as offered by Zumtobel
  3. Track lighting
  4. Indirect perimeter lighting.

cadpoint

I have a few questions!

Did anyone truely lay-out the hats and flutes of the metal/corrigated deck against the proposed light layout? I'll bet they did not!

Most time you will have to figure out a template or use a story pole, the dimensions that the manufacturer might well supply will be about useless to your dimenisons of install! You will need to do some homework!

Whats the size of the pendant cap? I'm sure it to be to the center of the hat(the larger flat area of the metal decking). Who's responsible to cut out for your box? I doult the installer will not grace you there either!

I'd use a 4 sq with a tile mud ring and not a cut in box, MO! Cut out to the outside of tile ring on the flat side and let is stick through if OK with the AHJ.
Of course, this all depends on the size of the pendant cap!

I'd use MC and double barrels to the box, and all supported accordingly!

Good Luck, and send some picks later... :)

charlietuna

You have little choice! Like concrete precast panels, you use the channels to fish your raceway or it's surface mount EMT or wiremold. The manufacturer's photos show everything concelled inside the cavities. Some planning is required to line everything up and also how to get the feeds into the cavities.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a few questions!
I have but one: How did the ceiling get put up before you wired it? :-?

Added: Look at the last link on the Products page: Hangers. They apparently expect everything to be surface mounted.

Last edited:

satcom

Added: Look at the last link on the Products page: Hangers. They apparently expect everything to be surface mounted.

Yes, they have been surface mounting this type of installation for many years, and the completed jobs I have seen use emt and look nice.

cadpoint

Yes, they have been surface mounting this type of installation for many years, and the completed jobs I have seen use emt and look nice.

Ok, and your your both true follower of 110.3, no I didn't read it all, Larry !

Sometimes that not what they thought, the client or the designer or what they might get from both the design or from the application on their design, I know both you Fine Gent's have heard that as well...

I understand, Totally! Point Taken ... I concour!

The panels are only 2 foot wide and 20 feet long, so it has to be "put up" before I can wire it... those hangers are for supporting duct and sprinkler pipe, but yes we are surface mounting the boxes...

What's above this stuff? Would 300.4(E) apply?

There is an insulated roof that goes on top of this decking so yes I fully believe it does apply, but by using the lower "trough" you are over 4" away from the sections that will be screwed into.

I have a few questions!

Did anyone truely lay-out the hats and flutes of the metal/corrigated deck against the proposed light layout? I'll bet they did not!

Most time you will have to figure out a template or use a story pole, the dimensions that the manufacturer might well supply will be about useless to your dimenisons of install! You will need to do some homework!

Whats the size of the pendant cap? I'm sure it to be to the center of the hat(the larger flat area of the metal decking). Who's responsible to cut out for your box? I doult the installer will not grace you there either!

I'd use a 4 sq with a tile mud ring and not a cut in box, MO! Cut out to the outside of tile ring on the flat side and let is stick through if OK with the AHJ.
Of course, this all depends on the size of the pendant cap!

I'd use MC and double barrels to the box, and all supported accordingly!

Good Luck, and send some picks later... :)

The locations on RCP are just center of columns and center of bays - so no it was not laid out to hit the grooves, however when we laid it out, they are only off by a 1/2" at 50' in the air I called it good !!!

We are suface mounting 4/0 boxes that the canopy covers then the MC we are fishing through the channels and drilling a hole to drop down thru which is later covered with the box.

It has been a slow process and lots of trial and error, I will post some pics when we get a little further along....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.