what I saw - what's required

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

The bonding lug for an ATS, a recent picture of an ATS install showed a lug for the bonding! Now as supplied it looked like
the lug was from the manufacturer due to the requirements of application (in this case a dual lug for the bonding of the
grounded wires via two service off of one ATS service!

By code aren't we day in and day out required to remove this lug and make this little area exposed to metal? I have a grinder
wheel for my battery drill and remove a wider foot print than the lug itself!

Here's the interesting part, I saw the installer the other day go back and re-paint the area that was left exposed!
They protected the lug and ground wire but painted the remaining exposed metal. Is this just a look good application?

Do any of you do this? Granted you can see the maring of the paint removed around the lug once painted.
I didn't question my supervisor about it!

paul

The lug that comes from the factory doesn't have to have the paint removed. I once added a lug in a CT can identical to the factory lug that was next to it. The inspector nailed me on it and I had to remove the paint underneath the lug I installed and not the factory installed lug.

Somethings just don't make sense. :rolleyes:

cadpoint

Cad are we looking at 250.12? Was that your question?

Yes, I was!

Does the manufacture installed lug, not require to be scrapped in this case?

Based on that the last part of the Article 250.12:

... or to be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.
What on earth could that be in respects to a panel lug?

This makes it even more interesting to me cause I've never seen a manufactured area left clear for the lug,
(if installed by them) if one was to lift their lug theres paint under it.
But by practice, if I have a lug bolt provided by the manufacturer I'll scrap the metal and clean the lug bolt.

In respects to the first post, I also just found it amazing that the installer took the time to go back and paint
the panel of an ATS around the ground lugs! These were field installed.

I know just scrap it and lug it and go on, but seems like a loop hole to me!

Last edited:

dcspector

Yes, I was!

Does the manufacture installed lug, not require to be scrapped in this case?

Based on that the last part of the Article 250.12:

... or to be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.
What on earth could that be in respects to a panel lug?

This makes it even more interesting to me cause I've never seen a manufactured area left clear for the lug,
(if installed by them) if one was to lift their lug theres paint under it.
But by practice, if I have a lug bolt provided by the manufacturer I'll scrap the metal and clean the lug bolt.

In respects to the first post, I also just found it amazing that the installer took the time to go back and paint
the panel of an ATS around the ground lugs! These were field installed.

I know just scrap it and lug it and go on, but seems like a loop hole to me!

The old saying "what is good for thee is not necessarily good for thou" The manuf. get away with it why cant we? Dunno Cad.

Status
Not open for further replies.