service entry question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington, service conductors can only extend 15' in a building as measured via the raceway. SE cable is not allowed.

Some states allow no distance, 2 ft, 3 ft, 5 ft. Check with the AJH.

Thanks for everyones help. this is a new area of my business that i am undertaking. More of a construction manager as well as architect. I usually stop by jobs to see how they are progressing, and make changes as they are needed. With business kind of slow up here I have followed the last few projects closely and have been much more involved . Now instead of just telling the customer "YES" I take the trades more into account as I design. It seems to make my customers happy. For instance instead of putting bathrooms all over creation as some people want, I now advise them that they can save significant money if the bathrooms have common walls . The plumbers seem to like it. Not exactly rocket science. With this project the location of the service panel played a roll in redesigning the layout. The house never had a panel in it, so we had to make a room for it. The easiest way would have been to put the panel butted up against the meter, but that would mean moving a diningroom etc etc. Again, I have used both electricians in the past, but the estimates were quite different. the only difference being the amount of money to wire the service. My client is taking the more expensive estimate. I told her "just meeting code, is like getting a D in college sometimes" You passed, but thats about it. Thanks for everyones answers. God forbid something ever happen to the wire in the crawlspace, we now will have the main breaker to pop. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.