Receptacle Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

utf-8BQmxhY2sgTWFya3MuanBn.jpg

utf-8BQmF0aCBHRkkuanBn.jpg

Found this on a bath receptacle. Rather concerning black marks so I began to take apart. I did not notice any signs of heat or charring on the wire and was getting ready to cut the nails on the box so I could inspect the cable when my helper offered an alternative. "Have you tried to wipe it off?" OK, you probably want the whole story...This is my own bathroom. I came home from work the other day and was going to grab a quick shower before church when I noticed these black marks that were not there the other day. So I began to tear it apart to find out what's wrong because I was in a hurry. My helper (wife) then gets home and looks at me with the "What are you into?" look and I show her our great concern. She looks at it kinda strange for second, grabs the wipes and begins to clean what is apparently a rather recent but nasty smudge from turning on the lights. Needless to say I felt a little foolish :roll: but felt even more so when she remarks, "Let me on that web site of yours..." :grin: We both got a kick out of, and, hopefully more to your amusement and not so much to my embarassment, I decided to post this.

The moral of the story is that sometimes it does not pay to be so electrically minded. :grin: Wasn't my first goof, won't be my last.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
[Laughing] Thanks for sharing this!

I particularly like, "Let me on that web site of yours" :grin:

[/laughing]

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just curious, what caused the black marks ? It seems peculiar that the wall was clean one day and not the next.

360Youth

Just curious, what caused the black marks ? It seems peculiar that the wall was clean one day and not the next.

Only thing I can figure is that it is from the night before when I took a shower. I would certainly hope it hasn't been there too long before I noticed. :)

That's a classic.

I notice that I have company in the "All my cover plate screws must run vertically club"

It drives me crazy any other way. What is really funny is when painters take plates off and replace some have the habbit of all screws must be horizontal. Oooh, my biscuits are burning. :grin:

Doug S.

Very nice.

My wife often keeps me humble, and I am often glad it's her and not some one else. I've got nothing left to prove to her, she KNOWS I'm a bumbling goof.

I agree with vertical placement of the screw slot. I was once told why, and wonder what others have been told? The reasoning given to me is so that the ladies won't snag a nail when flipping a switch. :roll:

That's what we professionals call "shmutz." ;)

I thought it was "schmutz" ;)

mxslick

Very nice.

My wife often keeps me humble, and I am often glad it's her and not some one else. I've got nothing left to prove to her, she KNOWS I'm a bumbling goof.

I agree with vertical placement of the screw slot. I was once told why, and wonder what others have been told? The reasoning given to me is so that the ladies won't snag a nail when flipping a switch. :roll:

I thought it was "schmutz" ;)

LOL yeah, I'm big on the vertical placement of the screws too. I was told it was so any paint slopped on the screws could run out and not clog the slot. :rolleyes:

220/221

Tell me there's a crimp on those ground wires:roll:

I thought the mark was from a plug in air freshener.

Status
Not open for further replies.