Ground size for Ground Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykool

I have always specified #4/0 bare copper ground between rod and other bonding surface (panel, steel, etc.).

Rods are either 5/8" or 3/4".

Is #4/0 overkill? This is for an industrial application.

hillbilly

If your GEC is running solely to a ground rod, pipe or plate electrode, #6cu is OK...250.66(A)
Anything else, you need to use Table 250.66

steve

Dang..Typed too slow again.

Buck Parrish

Yes, but it is easier to carry one size on the truck. And #4 will get more use to grding. electrodes. And you will acummalate small pieces to go to the grd. rods.
If you are not doing services in mass, that is.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I use 2 AWG BSC to my ground rods for radio antenna masts. The 2 is cadwelded to the mast and some of it is exposed. 6 AWG is small and could be easily damaged by a shovel. This applicaion is for public safety and is expected to have a long installed service life.
But otherwise I would use 6 AWG if protected, often will use 4 AWG if exposed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have always specified #4/0 bare copper ground between rod and other bonding surface (panel, steel, etc.).

IMO yes. But hey it's not my money. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I think your question has been answer but I want to state if these jobs are new construction then you should be using a concrete encase electrode (in the footing) instead of ground rods.

srisser

I think your question has been answer but I want to state if these jobs are new construction then you should be using a concrete encase electrode (in the footing) instead of ground rods.

The concrete encased electrodes would only be present if there is reinforcing steel present in the footings or foundation. Our jurisdiction has approved quite a few structures with un-reinforced footings, foundation walls, and wire mesh (<0.5 in dia.) in concrete floor slabs. FYI.

raider1

Staff member
The concrete encased electrodes would only be present if there is reinforcing steel present in the footings or foundation. Our jurisdiction has approved quite a few structures with un-reinforced footings, foundation walls, and wire mesh (<0.5 in dia.) in concrete floor slabs. FYI.

You are correct. Not all locations require reinforcing of concrete for footings and foundations. In areas that are high seismic zones footing reinforcing is typically required.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
When we build pads for power company transformers their rules require 4/0 bare cad welded to 3/4" x 10' rods. I think the this is as much for durability as any electrical issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Not quite true. You can also install 20 feet of #4 copper in the footing and it is still a CEE even without the rebar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not quite true. You can also install 20 feet of #4 copper in the footing and it is still a CEE even without the rebar.

Dennis I think that he's trying to say that without the rebar the CEE is not considered present and therefore not required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis I think that he's trying to say that without the rebar the CEE is not considered present and therefore not required.

That may be , I don't know but in either case my original point was not that it is required but that it would be better to use than the ground rods. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.