color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic1

a state inspector in colorado failed me for not using colored wire for #6 ans said nec requires these wire to be continous in color no phase tape. I cant find this in the code book can anyone point this out tot me
Thx mic

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of conductor was this, phase, grounded, grounding, GEC?

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

raider1

Staff member
thank you!!
ungrounded conductors high or low voltage #6 or smaller:smile:

You can use phase tape to identify ungrounded conductors of any size.

The NEC prohibits the use of phase tape to identify grounded and equipment grounding conductors conductors #6 and smaller. See 200.6(A) and 250.119.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
im not sure cant find it but ill look at those
thx:smile:

I will help you out.:)

200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.
(A) Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller. An insulated grounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or gray color but have colored tracer threads in the braid identifying the source of manufacture shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section. Insulated grounded conductors shall also be permitted to be identified as follows:
(1) The grounded conductor of a mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive marking at its terminations.
(2) A single-conductor, sunlight-resistant, outdoor-rated cable used as a grounded conductor in photovoltaic power systems as permitted by 690.31 shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive white marking at all terminations.
(3) Fixture wire shall comply with the requirements for grounded conductor identification as specified in 402.8.
(4) For aerial cable, the identification shall be as above, or by means of a ridge located on the exterior of the cable so as to identify it.
250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

Chris

mic1

thx raider1 thats what i thought but i failed and he was using nec
not sure if i want to question him maybe making him madder it is a short run
but i think he is wrong

raider1

Staff member
but i think he is wrong

Your welcome.:)

The inspector is flat out wrong. There is no NEC section that prohibits using phase tape to identify an ungrounded conductor of any size.

If I were you I would very politely ask the inspector to give you the code reference for the failed inspection.

Chris

dcspector

but i think he is wrong

Mic trust me make the inspector quote you a section number. If he or she gets mad then that just shows frustration, lack of education and professionalism on their part. Basically they are clueless IMO.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
thank you!!
ungrounded conductors high or low voltage #6 or smaller:smile:

What was the original color before you re-identified it? Don't worry about upsetting him. If he made a mistake he should be told about it so that it doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.