OK Power company guys ....... What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

My guess is this is there because of the ice storm last winter. They probably didn't have one on hand to replace it during the storm. This of course assumes you are in PSNH territory. Otherwise, please disregard this message. :D

quogueelectric

:grin:

I really am on family vacation.

NHpics034.jpg

Nice!! That is what life is all about.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks like, from left to right, HV in, manual disconnect, primary breaker, transformer, cooling engive and pump, secondary manual disconnect, recloser, and LV out.

Of course, the POCO pros will have to grade my guesses.

mivey

It looks like, from left to right, HV in, manual disconnect, primary breaker, transformer, cooling engive and pump, secondary manual disconnect, recloser, and LV out.

Of course, the POCO pros will have to grade my guesses.
There are arrestors between the HV disconnect and breaker and arrestors right before the LV out. I think the LV side has a breaker, not a recloser.

ItsHot

Beautiful kids Bob! I am glad they look like their mother!!:grin: Hey I don't see a go-kart track in the photo? Are you tired of them whipping you on the track? What mountains are those? ( white, green?? ):smile:

iwire

Staff member
iwire, so you been up to Jackson,NH eh?

Still here.

Sorry to get in on this late but it is a mobile substation. :)

OK, now I feel dumb, what is it's purpose?

The lines used to be directly connected together, now this unit has been inserted into the line.

Most times it is a bad thing to a break a circuit running at, say 208 and place a transformer into the circuit raising the voltage to say 480.

Nice!! That is what life is all about.

Absolutely! Bob's a lucky man. ;)

Beautiful kids Bob! I am glad they look like their mother!!:grin: :

Thanks I feel that I am lucky, and yes I am very glad they look more like their mom than me.:grin:

Hey I don't see a go-kart track in the photo? Are you tired of them whipping you on the track?

We went to the karts on Thursday and they did well.

What mountains are those? ( white, green?? ):smile

White Mts, we are staying in the Mt Washington Valley and I do not want to leave.

mivey

OK, now I feel dumb, what is it's purpose?

The lines used to be directly connected together, now this unit has been inserted into the line.
We use them when we have to take out (or lose) a substation. It becomes a replacement substation until we can get the fixed one fixed.

How is this one inserted? Where are the transmission lines and the distribution lines?

iwire

Staff member
We use them when we have to take out (or lose) a substation. It becomes a replacement substation until we can get the fixed one fixed.

How is this one inserted? Where are the transmission lines and the distribution lines?

There is no substation near them.

When I am there I can see that the primaries used to be all directly connected now the 'spur' off to the east has this unit inserted into it.

See post 15 for a map of the set up.:smile:

mivey

If there is no transmission, they might be using it to stabilize the voltage. There might be some emergency work being performed and the line took on more load than normal due to switching.

They could be using it for a voltage conversion. Do both lines have the same size insulators and are they new or old? If they are old, the new ones would be bigger for the higher voltage.

If new, sometimes they use the bigger insulators with the lower voltage in anticipation of an approaching voltage conversion and you might no be able to tell from the insulators.

Does one line have dual-voltage transformers and the other single-voltage?

mivey

There is no substation near them.

When I am there I can see that the primaries used to be all directly connected now the 'spur' off to the east has this unit inserted into it.

See post 15 for a map of the set up.:smile:
I went back and looked at the pictures. For some reason I was thinking this setup was behind a fence, like on a substation property (hence my previous question about transmission, etc) but now I see the fence is wrapping just this unit. Looks to me like the fence needs more signage.

Anyway, I'm assuming the E-W spur is still connected to the N-S line or I will be confused. What is further down the E-W spur? A new development or maybe some new poles making a tie-line to an existing circuit?

Added load => voltage drop => voltage stabilization, or it could tie to a different circuit that has a different voltage level, etc.

iwire

Staff member
I went back and looked at the pictures. For some reason I was thinking this setup was behind a fence, like on a substation property (hence my previous question about transmission, etc) but now I see the fence is wrapping just this unit. Looks to me like the fence needs more signage.

Anyway, I'm assuming the E-W spur is still connected to the N-S line or I will be confused. What is further down the E-W spur? A new development or maybe some new poles making a tie-line to an existing circuit?

Added load => voltage drop => voltage stabilization, or it could tie to a different circuit that has a different voltage level, etc.

It looks to me like the East spur had been directly connected to the North South line. Now they cut the spur free and connected this unit to the North south lines and the spur is now connected to unit.

The Fence was installed for the trailer unit, and what two sighs is not enough? ;)

mivey

It looks to me like the East spur had been directly connected to the North South line. Now they cut the spur free and connected this unit to the North south lines and the spur is now connected to unit.
Then it is voltage stabilization or voltage conversion.
The Fence was installed for the trailer unit, and what two signs is not enough? ;)
We have more. We also have audible warnings & flashing lights at some substations (wire theft issues) when a proximity detector goes off.

add: FWIW, My first guess would be voltage conversion because of the size, but they could just be making use of what they had on hand.

Last edited:

techntrek

A new item under this subject heading for the POCO guys - something that I have wondered about for a while; a friend of a friend is a lineman but I always forget to ask him when we are hanging out so I'll shoot it out here. Sorry, no pics at the moment.

About every 3rd pole, sitting next to the insulator for each phase of the HV lines there is a vertical cylinder that resembles a skinny insulator, about 8-10 inches tall, one for each phase. Each one is connected via a thin solid conductor to the HV line, but it never appears there is any other connection either between phases or to ground. My only guess is these are capacitors to either stabilize voltage under normal conditions and/or to absorb surges such as from lightning. There are so many of them (since they are on every 3rd pole) that the total capacitance would be extremely large so this would be possible. BUT, with no connection to ground or another conductor I'm not so sure...

Any guesses?

charlie

. . . every 3rd pole, sitting next to the insulator for each phase of the HV lines there is a vertical cylinder that resembles a skinny insulator, about 8-10 inches tall, one for each phase. . .
I can only imagine that they are lightning arresters but the bottom of each one would be attached to a pole ground. This seems very strange, photos would be very helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.