anybody use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

A while back i requested the " UL guide information for electrical equiptment" the White Book as is called. I haven;t got a chance to examine it yet. Any of you all ever used it?
How can you profit from it?

iMuse97

you can use it to answer questions on the MH forum, and look intelligent to all the others. or you can use it for a doorstop, or bedside reading, or throneroom reading. Maybe somebody's got some more ideas.:grin:

Charlie Bob

wel i got it for free myself, but it cost about $75.00 if you buy it through them i guess so i thought maybe there's some good use out of it. I think you can look up all the listed equipment and devices, or something like that

iMuse97

wel i got it for free myself, but it cost about $75.00 if you buy it through them i guess so i thought maybe there's some good use out of it. I think you can look up all the listed equipment and devices, or something like that

The use of the UL white book will help you understand what a specific listed product is used for. I'm stupid sometimes when I'm looking for a piece of equipment that I've never yet seen or used. UL gives out this book for free b/c they want their work to be noticed, relevant, etc.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If someone wants their own free copy, go to UL University and get one. This is copied from their site:

*** For a FREE hard copy of the UL White Book, please send an email request with your name, mailing address and phone number to ulregulatoryservices@us.ul.com ***

If they're free why do they cost $75?

Charlie Bobwell

i got it for free myself, but it cost about $75.00 if you buy it through them i guess so i thought maybe there's some good use out of it. I think you can look up all the listed equipment and devices, or something like that

Doug S.

I've got a .PDF copy and read it occasionally. It's occasionally useful, always interesting, and a nice reference, but not an every day reader for me.

Thanks for the link Karl. I stopped at there site and seen the same info. My copy is (hopefully) on the way and I'll have a copy for reading before bed. I'll report back on how it effects my dream/sleep patterns. :grin:

Doug S.

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Now that there's an index in the back, its a whole lot easier to use.

Start by looking up things like "Metallic Outlet Boxes", QCIT, or "Nonmetallic Outlet Boxes", QCMZ, and give them a read. That is, look up the most common material that you use, for starters. You'll be surprised at the things you'll discover about the material you thought you knew.

It takes a bit of doing to learn what UL calls a certain thing, but its, worth it in my opinion.

Charlie Bob, you can "profit from it" by using the materials in the ways that UL limits them to being used. A lot of that information is not in the NEC. It'll save you tear out and replace effort and cost.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Any of you all ever used it?
How can you profit from it?

I use it when I need to back up a particular part or piece of an installation or when I need to know if I can use a specific item the way I want or intend to use it.

FWIW, I seem to use the Orange books more often than I do the White book.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My book is called Guide Information for Electrical Equipment 2008 from UL laboratories--- White Book. There is a free copy online (PDF) at this site.

I got my hard copy free at the Raleigh Electrical Meeting with a CD. The back of the book, however, says $42.00. Go figure-- perhaps they use to charge and decided it would be better if people had them so they starting giving them out.

I have yet to look at it. :roll:

Charlie Bob

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thank you all!!

(oh, when i ordered mine the lady told me it was about that much , but since i was licensed i'd get it for free. Maybe she just wanted to make me feel good.:smile:)

glene77is

Thanks for the URL.
Now, I can see what the "White Book" reads like.
The last master I worked for said (with great emphasis)
that the UL has no part in the NEC.
For political reasons, I left that alone.
I have always noted the UL references in the NEC,
and understood that there are several engineering
approaches that are combined within the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.