Child safety plug caps and tamper resistant outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinCitySparky

I am in the process of replacing outlets/switches in a customers house. They have an 18 month old boy and child safety caps installed most everywhere in the house. I am of course installing tamper resistant outlets.

Given the new tamp. resistant feature of these outlets, would you say that the child caps are not needed anymore ??? I'd really hate to hear that the little tyke figured out how to simultaniously open both shutters...

I wasn't quite sure what to tell the expecting mother. What would you say?
Simply have them make the descision ?

Last edited:

ultramegabob

I am in the process of replacing outlets/switches in a customers house. They have an 18 month old boy and child safety caps installed most everywhere in the house. I am of course installing tamper resistant outlets.

Given the new tamp. resistant feature of these outlets, would you say that the child caps are not needed anymore ??? I'd really hate to hear that the little tyke figured out how to simultaniously open both shutters...

I would just install the devices explain what they do, hand the safty caps back to the home owner and not give an opinion either way of what to do with them.

barbeer

That was the whole basis of design for TR receps! To eliminate the possibility of human error when the caps were not properly installed or forgotten. Will some child defeat them, more than likely, but I do not suggest worrying about that. If you have done your ethical duty you should lose no sleep.

TwinCitySparky

I hear you...

FWIW

I tried to insert one of them in the new outlets and the "plastic sliding on plastic" created alot of friction to the point that I almost could not remove the child safety plug!

I guess they would be safe then. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
If you have done your ethical duty you should lose no sleep.

At least not any more sleep then you would have lost before TRs were required.

I think we all occasionally worry about our work killing or hurting anyone.

I would tell the Mom they are tamper resistant not tamper proof and if she wants to use the caps as well that would not do any harm.

brian john

And the good part of all this is not mater how diligent you are, should something happen you will be sued. You'd most likely win but still eats time and money.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
FWIW

I tried to insert one of them in the new outlets and the "plastic sliding on plastic" created alot of friction to the point that I almost could not remove the child safety plug!
That's an interesting observation.

I know, that were I in the same setting, I'd be inclined to restore the childproofing plugs 'cause the HO already had them there. . . kinda like the automatic (for me) process of returning the furnishings to the way they were, as I leave one receptacle location to go on to the next.

But your experience of the friction gives me pause to wonder about whether this little plastic insert needs a slight redesign. . . ?

cadpoint

You might also mention to the new owner how tough this new recepatcles are to even insert the real plug !

It's been stated here before the fact that using a wood head or even needling with a meter can be a real pain,
that greater attention should be paid by all that approach these new receptacles!

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
You might also mention to the new owner how tough this new recepatcles are to even insert the real plug !

It's been stated here before the fact that using a wood head or even needling with a meter can be a real pain,
that greater attention should be paid by all that approach these new receptacles!

Actually the P&S tamper resistant receptacles are not any harder to insert a plug into then the non-tamper resistant receptacles.

Chris

wireguru

There have been quite a few children who choked on safety caps they put in their mouth. I bet its easier for a child to get the cap out and eat it than to get the shutters to open in a TR receptacle.

480sparky

I've heard most little ones have no difficulty pulling the old-fashioned caps out, so they're worthless at that point.

Why not add GFI protection to the circuit as well?

cadpoint

Actually the P&S tamper resistant receptacles are not any harder to insert a plug into then the non-tamper resistant receptacles.

I respectfully (strongly) disagree, Chris...

Where talking minutes not seconds to do these readings!

I did smash my hand into a cover plate try'n to apply a wood head, I was frankly caught off guard, and did have to fiddle with both the W.H. and the needles to get them in, the best angle I found for the needles was to come in at 45 degrees, laying them into the slots and not just inserting them. Oh and they were P & S receptacles, top dollor.

raider1

Staff member
I respectfully (strongly) disagree, Chris...

Where talking minutes not seconds to do these readings!

I did smash my hand into a cover plate try'n to apply a wood head, I was frankly caught off guard, and did have to fiddle with both the W.H. and the needles to get them in, the best angle I found for the needles was to come in at 45 degrees, laying them into the slots and not just inserting them. Oh and they were P & S receptacles, top dollor.

I was not referring to using test probes from a multimeter in the receptacle. I was responding to your statement....

You might also mention to the new owner how tough this new receptacles are to even insert the real plug !

I don't see any difference in insertion pressure of a 2 or 3 wire plug into these receptacles than P&S's standard residential grade devices.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There have been quite a few children who choked on safety caps they put in their mouth. I bet its easier for a child to get the cap out and eat it than to get the shutters to open in a TR receptacle.
As long as the child has two items that will fit in the slots there is no problem getting both of the shutters to open.

TOOL_5150

those plastic caps are crap. They loosen the tention on the resi grade recepts way too easily. Which I guiess is ok - job security. But still, I never understood them. They have to be made to not pull out too easy, but they still have to be removable.

~Matt

TwinCitySparky

I was not referring to using test probes from a multimeter in the receptacle. I was responding to your statement....

I don't see any difference in insertion pressure of a 2 or 3 wire plug into these receptacles than P&S's standard residential grade devices.

Chris

FWIW - Those T/R outlets are kind of a pain to plug into sometimes. It seemed like about 1 in 5 outlets had an issue where the cord plug blades would somehow catch on the wipers. I had to reposition the plugs a few times before they would plug in. Not the best feeling after you just changed every outlet to T/R in a 3200 sq. ft. house...

(Yes they were P&S outlets)

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And if my car goes under water my seat belts will not help me.:smile:

Nothing is a perfect solution.:smile:
Bob,
Maybe you should read that comment that I posted in response to. My comment (this time:grin:) has nothing to say about the effectiveness or lack there of of the TR device.

Status
Not open for further replies.