Let's Make Some Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

There is no such thing as "the best".

I, however, use a Milwaukee 1675.

1675.jpg

220/221

Same here, 1/2" RA Milwakee with an 1 1/8" auger bit, plus an 18" bit for top plates if you are under 6' tall. Adjust the handle so it's 90 degrees from the chuck. Drill top plates right next to studs (left side) and use the stud as a brace.

If you are roughing a BUNCH of houses, get the angled extension.

Hole Hawg is too much of a beast. You get better leverage wit an RA drill and it seems like 1/2 the bulk/weight

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Same here, 1/2" RA Milwakee with an 1 1/8" auger bit, plus an 18" bit for top plates if you are under 6' tall. Adjust the handle so it's 90 degrees from the chuck. Drill top plates right next to studs (left side) and use the stud as a brace.

If you are roughing a BUNCH of houses, get the angled extension.

Hole Hawg is too much of a beast. You get better leverage wit an RA drill and it seems like 1/2 the bulk/weight

With the 1-1/8 auger, if you are drilling 2 x 4s would this not present a problem with 300.4(A)(1) ? With the actual size of 3-1/2", even if you bored dead center you would technically be in vilolation.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The hole-hawg is heavy and very powerful, a possible wrist-breaker.

I agree - but I have had much more trouble in twisting my wrists using my cordless 18V drill than with a Hole-Hawg. I think it has something to do with the fact that when I penetrate a 2x4 with the 18V, there isn't enough rotational inertia to knock the edges of the hole off. When I get through, and my arms move as a result, the sides of the bit seem to dig in and go sideways and then the torque of the drill murders my hands.

No kidding, I am still recovering from a week ago, almost every hole I drilled with the cordless was torturous. I never have much of a problem when using a corded Hole-Hawg (which is what I drilled most of that house with, with the same bit).

It might just be that the Hole-Hawg has less torque in high than my cordless on low, I'm not sure.

480sparky

Here is a picture of the gooseneck I used. There is little need for a ladder in standard 8ft ceilings, and virtually no bending down as well for lower holes. I used these many, many years.

I have the same thing, but it's not a dedicated drill, but rather it fits into the chuck of any ?" drill.

BTW, Pierre, you many want to straighten out that one box.... looks a wee bit crooked.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.