Bet you all never seen this one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aren't green Edison-based fuses 30 amp?
Yep. (And they're called plug fuses, by the way, even though they don't plug in.)

If I'm not mistaken, the colors coincide with the old Bryant/Westinghouse colored-handle breaker handle colors.

480sparky

Yep. (And they're called plug fuses, by the way, even though they don't plug in.)

If I'm not mistaken, the colors coincide with the old Bryant/Westinghouse colored-handle breaker handle colors.

Then 'splain the titles of 240.51, 240.52 and 250.54(A) to me. Learn me sumpim. :smile:

SEO

Anybody that's used one of those pigtails for a fuseholder knows that you have to cut the rubber back so that the fuse seats properly. Looks like the installer at least did that.:roll:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I've always know them as "pigtails".

Aren't they limited to something like 660 Watts, by UL, or somethin'?

ceb58

I have seen the same set up before for a oil furnace. The disconnect was in the room with the furnace. One leg ran the furnace, the other the lights. Some one rigged it so they could unscrew the fuse to kill the power to the furnace while leaving the lights on.

-=PEAKABOO=-

Yes indeed and if you use this it becomes a SENB fuse

"single element no blow"

jumper.jpg

-=PEAKABOO=-

That's a breaker-finder. ;)

Acme super circuit breaker locater.

I say that with a tremble in my voice:grin:

I remember a time about 15 or so years ago when a guy I was working with used a piece of #12 wire like that in an attempt to locate a breaker at a print shop, he rammed the wire into the plug where massive sparks and smoke begin to emit from the receptacle, he pulled the now shorter wire from the receptacle, looked at me with an evil grin and rams it back into the receptacle. I think he truly enjoyed sparks and smoke, an elctropyromaniac if you will. All this time I am seeing spots from the flash. He tries again this time it is worst and he only ends up with a short piece of the wire, the rest of it had adhered to his needle nose like a garage built electroplating machine did it. He looked at me and said, what the heck man. I later located the circuit breaker it was on, it was tied into a 2 pole 100 amp FPE breaker, of course it was not tripped.

480sparky

I remember a time about 15 or so years ago when a guy I was working with used a piece of #12 wire like that in an attempt to locate a breaker at a print shop, he rammed the wire into the plug where massive sparks and smoke begin to emit from the receptacle, he pulled the now shorter wire from the receptacle, looked at me with an evil grin and rams it back into the receptacle. I think he truly enjoyed sparks and smoke, an elctropyromaniac if you will. All this time I am seeing spots from the flash. He tries again this time it is worst and he only ends up with a short piece of the wire, the rest of it had adhered to his needle nose like a garage built electroplating machine did it. He looked at me and said, what the heck man. I later located the circuit breaker it was on, it was tied into a 2 pole 100 amp FPE breaker, of course it was not tripped.

I'll bet he never considered replacing the receptacle, either.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

What I've done in a bind is cut about 6" off a lamp cord. I stripped each wire and put them on each terminal of a SP switch. With the switch off I plug into the receptacle. Then I flip the switch on and off. If that doesn't trip the circuit that's the last time I use the flash method to find that circuit.

satcom

Don't be suprised if a lot of members here suggest that that's one time too many.

When you see someone do that, it usually indicates they had little or no formal training in the field, and they are usually the toughest guys to get thru to, usually letting then find other employment is the best cure, may save a life or loss of property.

mivey

What I've done in a bind is cut about 6" off a lamp cord. I stripped each wire and put them on each terminal of a SP switch. With the switch off I plug into the receptacle. Then I flip the switch on and off. If that doesn't trip the circuit that's the last time I use the flash method to find that circuit.
Somebody get zog some oxygen!

Status
Not open for further replies.