Let's Make Some Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

BT45D.jpg

gas powered baby (you can get a right angle attachment)

(plus the fumes run the other trades out)

That's a new one on me.
I've never seen one of those.

steve

e57

What drill is the best for drilling out wood studs for housing rough in?

Here is a picture of the gooseneck I used. There is little need for a ladder in standard 8ft ceilings, and virtually no bending down as well for lower holes. I used these many, many years.
GooseNeckDrill2.jpg
Thata one - bar none.... I've used one for years too - Makes for great air guitar, and if you score some quick release bolts for a bike seat - it makes a quick change out to a regular right angle - although making it a dedicated is probably what it will stay. Big back saver...

Hole hawg - won't touch one!

c2500

Such as a 2 story dwelling. Have you noticed what the plumbers can do to the framing of a home?:-?

Very true.....the IRC does have limitations on what plumbers can do. Sadly, they don't always follow them. You should see (if you haven't already) how a screwed up I-Joist plan can create absolute HAVOC with plumbing. Which goes back to a thing I have thought for years....Imagine what would happen if all the trades worked together as a team...in addition to anyone involved in the design process. We could actually build the "Perfect" house.

c2500

AVD001

The Milwaukee Super Hawg is the only drill I use on roughs. At 2000 rpm and a new 1 1/4" bit, it's like a hot knife thru butter. I'm done drilling a 6000 sq ft house by lunch.

e57

Imagine what would happen if all the trades worked together as a team...in addition to anyone involved in the design process. We could actually build the "Perfect" house.

c2500
You think you might even get around to building it - as opposed to standing around a table for five years talking about it?

The Milwaukee Super Hawg is the only drill I use on roughs. At 2000 rpm and a new 1 1/4" bit, it's like a hot knife thru butter. I'm done drilling a 6000 sq ft house by lunch.
Catch a nail and you're off to the ER. IMO too heavy, and WAY over powered. A D-handle you don't even have to wrestle it, slow enough that it cuts wood rather than melts it - heating the bits so they dull too quick - but fast enough let the draw screw pull at the correct rate, and just enough power to stall if it bites anything bigger than a 16 nail. It's the perfect balance of power/torque and speed for wood framing with the 7/8" auger bits I use - and at that speed they last a lot longer. And that extendo necked one - there is nothing like it. Drill cielings from the floor, and I also have a neat trick or two so I don't pull cable on a ladder either.

1. Line laser for straight holes - trust me its worth the 10 seconds it takes to set it on the floor and turn it on. And the result looks better too.
  2. Get a bucket of poly line and a fish stick - tape it to the line. Stab it through your straight holes from the floor, guide it with a hook on another fish stick through 3 joists and repeat... Like sewing...
  3. Once the line is in, tape/tie it to two 12/2's or what have you on a roll with a smooth head - lube the end and yank it straight through.
Not so worth it on short runs... I do a lot of Homeworks stuff where derating is not so much of an issue, I take eight 12/2's in a 1 1/2" - 2" hole - lube it, and pull all of them in one shot. I put 20,000' of 12/2 into a place with five guys in 5 days.

JFletcher

.50 cal machine gun.
~Peter

If you ever need to bore a 1/2" hole through train track, then that is the tool to use. Think of it as a 14,000 ft-lb Hilti gun. :wink:

3767297047_1f2fe18162_m.jpg

That hole is 3/4" - I forgot about the steel donut the round punched out.

Definitely not OSHA approved.

Last edited:

JFletcher

You honestly think if OSHA showed up and you were lugging a .50-cal automatic around,
they're going to write you up for that?
Rampage.gif

Probably not, but I'm sure the local police and ATF would like to have a word or two thousand with me.

Back on topic, there's been some pretty nice drills shown here. The one the with pole extension looks quite useful - my question with that is does it hold up (is it sturdy), and approximately how much does it weigh?

e57

Probably not, but I'm sure the local police and ATF would like to have a word or two thousand with me.

Back on topic, there's been some pretty nice drills shown here. The one the with pole extension looks quite useful - my question with that is does it hold up (is it sturdy), and approximately how much does it weigh?
WACO didn't have that type of fire power and they brought in tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.