Grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Nice

I have been told by some inspectors that bonding the grounding terminal to the neutral terminal on a receptacle is acceptable if there is no ground wire. Is this in fact true? Doesnt seem too legit to me...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
not acceptable. you might ask the inspectors to expalin 250.24(A)(5)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They're the ones who are supposed to prevent such things, not recommend them! Oy vey! :roll:

mpd

I have been told by some inspectors that bonding the grounding terminal to the neutral terminal on a receptacle is acceptable if there is no ground wire. Is this in fact true? Doesnt seem too legit to me...

NEVER EVER, look at 250.130 & 250.142 (B), what type of inspector gave you this advice hopefully not electrical

erickench

If there is no ground wire and no continuous metal raceway then there is no effective fault current path. If you have a metal box with an old non-metallic cable then you're going to have problem. A hot wire touches the box and it will become energized. The NEC does'nt allow it but I think the following can be regarded as true: You can't use the ground as a neutral but you can use the neutral as a ground. Here's a link to an article that Mike Holt wrote. There's a section that pertains to using the neutral as an effective ground path.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/GB-HTML/HTML/Grounding-versus-Bonding-Part-5-of-12~20050304.php

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NEC does'nt allow it but I think the following can be regarded as true: You can't use the ground as a neutral but you can use the neutral as a ground. Here's a link to an article that Mike Holt wrote. There's a section that pertains to using the neutral as an effective ground path.
In a feeder to a detached building, sure, just like we used to be able to do on major appliances. Both allowances are disappearing.

To a 120v receptacle, never.

erickench

In a feeder to a detached building, sure, just like we used to be able to do on major appliances. Both allowances are disappearing.

To a 120v receptacle, never.

Of course the NEC does'nt allow it. But if the inspector is giving him the OK to use the neutral as a ground then it should'nt be a problem. As long as there is no existing ground wire and no continuous metal raceway.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Of course the NEC does'nt allow it. But if the inspector is giving him the OK to use the neutral as a ground then it should'nt be a problem. As long as there is no existing ground wire and no continuous metal raceway.
I still disagree. Getting an OK from the inspector doesn't change why it shouldn't be done.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just because an inspector is clueless does not relieve a licensed contractor from liabilities associated with imprpopoer installations.

As an aside, this inspectors recommendation should be reported to the AHJ.

Roger

erickench

Since when can in inspector overrule the NEC?

I'll give you an example. I worked for the NYC Transit for 23 years. We never grounded the neutral to the earth because of the electrolysis caused by the stray earth currents. The maintenance people would send a supervisor to write the punchlist. That particular item was never found on any punchlist even though the NEC required it.

mivey

I also would like D-Nice to reveal the inspector type.

erickench: 20 lashes with a wet noodle. You should know better.

erickench

I am telling you that the Transit Authority does not ground the neutral. I have personally served as a construction inspector on many projects. The TA does not use grounding electrodes because of the electrolysis problem. The trains operate on DC propulsion.

erickench

Well this is not residential. I have looked at hundreds of drawings and never once did I see a GEC. The TA uses both AC and DC for different systems. It seems that corrosion is a far bigger problem then lightning striking the system. Then again half the stations are underground while the others are above ground. Lightning would not be able to strike these underground systems. We did'nt even use surge/lightning arrestors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Eric,
Are you saying the TA is using an ungrounded system, with line to neutral loads?
As far as the corrosion problem, that is a function of the DC system, not the AC system. Is the DC system also an ungrounded system?

Status
Not open for further replies.