Commercial meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

I had an inquiry, the other day about an office space being split in two, and rented to two different tennants. The land lord refuses to add another meter to split the space. I know, of course, that in residential work this, as well as a house meter is a must, but I don't see anything about commercial space.
Can someone please advise ?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Landlord is not required to provide seperate meters. He pays the electric bill.
Some areas do not allow a private individual to re-sell the power to the tennant. In these cases all the landlord can do is charge a percentage of NET Op Expenses for the month. He can't tack on a profit or a service fee.

Hendrix

Landlord is not required to provide seperate meters. He pays the electric bill.
Some areas do not allow a private individual to re-sell the power to the tennant. In these cases all the landlord can do is charge a percentage of NET Op Expenses for the month. He can't tack on a profit or a service fee.

He wants the tennants to pay the bill and "work it out" between themselves.

Talk to the tenants and see if they can agree to submetering. Remember, as has been mentioned, there are some jurisdictions that do not permit submetering. The local building department should have the information you may be looking for.

Hendrix

Talk to the tenants and see if they can agree to submetering. Remember, as has been mentioned, there are some jurisdictions that do not permit submetering. The local building department should have the information you may be looking for.

OK, I just noticed in 210.25(B) in the handbook states that " In addition, common area circuits in other than dwelling occupancies are now subject to this requirement, and "house load" branch circuits must be supplied from equipment that does not directly supply branch circuits for an individual occupancy or tenant space.

Does anyone think that this applies to my situation ?

Bea

Yes it 210.25 would apply if it is a new installation or altered installation and building is listed as multi occupancy. You did not mention location of panel boards or service because both tenants have to have access to their service disconnect and overcurrent devices that supply their units. Finally I would say if the land owner is not paying the power bill then there has to be a service for each unit.

480sparky

Lease laws will come in to play, and they rarely if ever reference the NEC. You may also run afoul of 240.24(B) and 600.5(A).

Some states allow seperate meters, while some require it. If submetering is done, the landlord may or may not be allowed to profit from it. In my area, submetering is legal as long as there is no increase in the price.

It sounds like the landlord is so cheap he doesn't want to do what is legally required.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Lease laws will come in to play, and they rarely if ever reference the NEC. You may also run afoul of 240.24(B) and 600.5(A).

Some states allow seperate meters, while some require it. If submetering is done, the landlord may or may not be allowed to profit from it. In my area, submetering is legal as long as there is no increase in the price.

It sounds like the landlord is so cheap he doesn't want to do what is legally required.

Have you ever met a landlord that was not cheap. Never met one. :roll:

Jim W in Tampa

Maybe landlord sees other problems like splitting water,water heater ,air and heat. It will be hard to get tenants to split a bill as they will not have same loads. Perhaps even zoning issues. Way i see this is as one huge house meter and he must foot bill. By splitting unit he likely will get more rent per sq foot. I sure would never go for a deal like his but if they can agree on how to split cost then it may be legal depending on local laws.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Maybe landlord sees other problems like splitting water,water heater ,air and heat. It will be hard to get tenants to split a bill as they will not have same loads. Perhaps even zoning issues. Way i see this is as one huge house meter and he must foot bill. By splitting unit he likely will get more rent per sq foot. I sure would never go for a deal like his but if they can agree on how to split cost then it may be legal depending on local laws.
There are idiot tennants all the time. I know why the landlord wants the tennants to pay. See if either tennant moves out the remaining one one needs the power and will continue to pay. This way the landlord is not left holding the bag.

If the landlord pays the bill, then if the tennant is late the landlord still pays the bill.

Jim W in Tampa

There are idiot tennants all the time. I know why the landlord wants the tennants to pay. See if either tennant moves out the remaining one one needs the power and will continue to pay. This way the landlord is not left holding the bag.

If the landlord pays the bill, then if the tennant is late the landlord still pays the bill.

True but poco will want 1 person for deposit and to pay bill.
This sounds like a mess that will burn someone other than landlord.
I would call AHJ and zonong before renting a unit.
Panel and breakers must be available to both tenants. Fire marshal might also get in picture.

nakulak

if this is a commercial bldg and there are no multi-use occupancy issues (separation issues due to differing occupancy types), then the landlord can do as he pleases. putting your nose in the middle may lose you a client. If what he wants to do flies ok with the ahj and he wants the hassle of squabbling tenants, that's entirely his business. (unless for some reason you are responsible for the design, if its to be stamped ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.