GFCI Receptacle locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFLOAT

had an inspector call me on the placement of GFCI rec in a small bush clinic here in Alaska. (1).TV rec. at 72" over a drinking fountain,he says the rec. needs to be GFCI. (2).Break room, he wants all rec. to be GFCI not just the ones that are 6' from the sink.(3)Dental room, we have GFCI receptacles 6' from sinks and within 6' of dental chair,he wants them everywhere in the room even for computers and equipmennt. he has stated that all rec. 6' from a water source needs to be GFCI. is there something I'm missing?

480sparky

........ is there something I'm missing?

The question, "Can you give me a Code reference on this, please?"

Welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What code cycle applies in your area? If you are under the 2008, the inspector is correct on all counts. If you are under the 2005, the inspector is wrong on the first and third counts, but he might be right on the second. What turns the tide on count number two is whether the "break room" has "permanent provisions for cooking."

Welcome to the forum.

raider1

Staff member
I am referencing the 2008 NEC

(1).TV rec. at 72" over a drinking fountain,he says the rec. needs to be GFCI.

This is not a violation. 422.52 requires the electric drinking fountain be GFCI protected, but there is no requirement that a receptacle installed next to a drinking fountain be GFCI protected.

(2).Break room, he wants all rec. to be GFCI not just the ones that are 6' from the sink.

If this breaker room qualifies as a kitchen then 210.8(B)(2) would require all the receptacles to be GFCI protected. If this does not qualify as a kitchen then only the receptacles within 6' of the sink would need to be GFCI protected in accordance with 210.8(B)(5).

.(3)Dental room, we have GFCI receptacles 6' from sinks and within 6' of dental chair,he wants them everywhere in the room even for computers and equipmennt.

The exception #2 to 210.(B)(5) permits the omission of GFCI protection for receptacles within 6' of a sink in a patient care area of a health care facility.

Chris

Sonny Boy

State and Local Admendments

State and Local Admendments

Are there any state and/or local ammendments to the NEC that inspector is using in his defense?

JFLOAT

Thanks Guys I'm heady for a meating right now I'll let you know how it goes. We adopted the 2008 code in sept. 08,our contract was signed june 08.should be fun

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks Guys I'm heady for a meating right now I'll let you know how it goes. We adopted the 2008 code in sept. 08,our contract was signed june 08.should be fun

The big issue should be, when the permit was pulled or submitted. Most localities are not retroactive. That is unless it is a severe hazzard or something.
The contract date is of no concern to the AHJ. I hope your plans and contract reflected " based on the 2005 code" and not ' based on current code"

Status
Not open for further replies.