How to connect conduit to top of NEMA 3R enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
I'd like to bring a 1" rigid PVC conduit into the top of a small NEMA 3R junction box mounted on the outside of a residence. The box will be mounted about 4' off the ground and is partially protected from the weather by a 2' wide eve. Do they make special connectors for this purpose or can I just put a bead of silicon caulk around a standard PVC connector before attaching it with a locknut?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What I see most often is a "myers" hub with a PVC male adpter.
A second possibilty would be a sealing locknut.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
Thanks Gus. I'd never heard of a Myers hub before but that looks like a good solution.

I'd like to bring a 1" rigid PVC conduit into the top of a small NEMA 3R junction box mounted on the outside of a residence. The box will be mounted about 4' off the ground and is partially protected from the weather by a 2' wide eve. Do they make special connectors for this purpose or can I just put a bead of silicon caulk around a standard PVC connector before attaching it with a locknut?

Top entry will inevitably leak or channel water/condensate through the conduit system. Bottom or side entry is a practiced rule around here.

masterinbama

Top entry will inevitably leak or channel water/condensate through the conduit system. Bottom or side entry is a practiced rule around here.

I do agree with you on that. When possible I LB into the lower side of outdoor enclosures, but sometimes you have no choice. Whenever I have to enter the top I bend drip loops in the wires before they terminate, I have found that water will tend to "wick" along the wires and this allows it to drip to the bottom of the enclosure.

cadpoint

I do agree with you on that. When possible I LB into the lower side of outdoor enclosures, but sometimes you have no choice. Whenever I have to enter the top I bend drip loops in the wires before they terminate, I have found that water will tend to "wick" along the wires and this allows it to drip to the bottom of the enclosure.

Got any pictures ?

They are not listed for PVC but our local inspector allows these.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index...ck=Y&part=5303

Do I assume (box of rocks here) that's in your case its a PVC connector, your special washer - Outside, then box ?
PS , thanks for the information!

cadpoint

1/2 of never mind!

1/2 of never mind!

OK, Drip Loop, internal; it just hit me what you do, it is a "C" shape in the feeders, I got it!

I frankly, I always pondered that one when I see the literature of nice new panels at the counter of the supply houses. "Why'd they do that".? !
:grin:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
They are not listed for PVC but our local inspector allows these.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?check=Y&part=5303
Those are listed under file E13938. General listing requirements is QCRV: Outlet Bushings and Fittings, where in part it says this...

Sealing Gaskets (Washers) ? Sealing gaskets are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing gasket on the outside and an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the opposite side of the enclosure for wet locations or liquid-tight applications. Sealing gaskets may also be used with Listed wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton.

Status
Not open for further replies.